Jehovah's Witnesses post 'anti-gay' 'Harness Your Habits' leaflet in North Devon

by OrphanCrow 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

1 - The bible condemns homosexual sex

2 - The WT view the bible as the source of their ethics.

Having read the leaflet it can't reasonably be characterised as hateful. It's hardly a surprise that the police declined to take any action.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

You are right, cofty...the leaflet doesn't really qualify as "hate" literature.

It is just simply misleading. The JWs are guilty of spreading misleading information, that's all.

And, they aren't the only ones who think that homosexuality is "just a bad habit".

The Bible condemns a lot of behavior, such as wearing cloth made of differing fibers and silly things like that. But I don't see the JWs spreading literature around calling the wearing of mixed fibers a bad habit.

• DJS
    DJS

Harness your habits? Sounds like a lesbian bondage video with nuns.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

How on earth does it follow that if something is based on the Bible it can't be hateful or unlawful? It seems perfectly obvious to me that the leaflet is both able based and hateful. These are by no means mutually exclusive.

Suppose a church banned disabled people from attendance and quoted Leviticus 21:18-22. That would be okay because it's Bible based?

• cofty
    cofty
    How on earth does it follow that if something is based on the Bible it can't be hateful or unlawful?

It doesn't. Obviously. Nobody said it does.

• Room 215
    Room 215

What happened to the focus on the "Good News of the Kingdom" mantra in their public ministry?

• under the radar
    under the radar

As much as I despise the Watchtower organization, I don't think distributing this pamphlet rises to the level of a hate crime. But doing so was in extremely poor taste and makes them look like a bunch of self-righteous religious nuts. Oh wait...

Well, if it quacks like a duck...

Now if apostates or another religious group dared to distribute pamphlets refuting the teachings of Jehovah's Witnesses or criticizing their mind-control tactics, JWs would be screaming "Persecution!" at the top of their lungs far and wide. The organization is led by inveterate hypocrites.

Another example is how they howl in protest when some new prospect is given a hard time by their family for "studying" with the Witnesses. And yet they are perfectly willing to shun and evict their own children if they choose not become Witnesses or (gasp!) decide to leave the organization. They can't see, or at least refuse to acknowledge, the blatant (dare I say brazen) hypocrisy in doing this. What else can it be when their public position is, "No one should be...made to choose between his beliefs and his family"? Awake! July 2009, page 29

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

I don't get it, is this a special leaflet made up by the witnesses in Devon, or is this an official watchtower leaflet? If it's official then this is a new direction for their ministry!

We need a scan.

>Edited to say it's the Awake magazine, I was imagining a special one off pamphlet<

• cofty
    cofty

It looks like an Awake article I think...

Interesting that the magazine has become so puny that the journalist refers to it as a leaflet.

• Wayward
    Wayward

Maybe it isn't criminal in the police sense, but this stunt WAS criminally stupid. Usually JWs dance around their hatred of gays by saying something misleading like "It's not for us to judge". Which is a crock that they spew just so they don't look like complete ***holes to potential new recruits.

I totally agree with Under the Radar that if we apostates blanketed an area with anti-JW leaflets they'd instantly scream bloody murder. No, just doing unto YOU as you did unto others.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit