Devon and Cornwall Police have said a leaflet posted through doors in North Devon isn't a crime – despite it advising gay people to "control their urges".
The leaflet, entitled "How to Harness Your Habits", was distributed in North Devon by Jehovah's Witnesses and contains an article asking "What does the Bible say about homosexuality?"
In it, the religious group states that "rejecting homosexuality" is completely different to "rejecting people of a different skin colour" and says their views are the same as people who "view smoking as harmful and even repugnant".
It also compares gay people to animals, but says "unlike animals, they can choose not to act on their impulses".
The Journal was contacted by a reader, who wishes to remain anonymous, who felt "belittled" by the leaflet.
"I completely respect other peoples' beliefs and people who disagree with homosexuality because of their religion do not bother me," she said.
"But when people actively seek you out to force their beliefs upon you and tell you that what you are doing is wrong then that does upset me.
"They have encroached on my life by forcing their literature into my home and belittled my relationship and my life."
Using passages from the Bible as, the text also says: "A person who has homosexual leanings can control what he allows his mind to dwell on, just as he would control any other wrong desire, including leanings towards anger, adultery or greed."
However, it also says "the Bible does not encourage prejudice, hate crimes or any other kind of mistreatment of homosexuals".
Devon and Cornwall Police looked at the leaflet and stated: "We have been made aware of some religious materials which have been distributed in North Devon.
"Whilst it doesn't appear to meet the threshold to be considered a crime, these have been passed on to our Diverse Communities Team to look into."
But Matt Horwood, senior communications officer for national LGBT charity Stonewall called the leaflet "damaging vitriol".
"It perpetuates the myth that you cannot be of faith while also being part of, or supporting, the lesbian, gay, bi and trans community," he said.
"Stonewall will continue its work with faith communities to ensure that all LGBT people are accepted without exception in their place of worship and within their own faith communities."
Jehovah's Witnesses post 'anti-gay' 'Harness Your Habits' leaflet in North Devon
"...the Bible does not encourage prejudice, hate crimes or any other kind of mistreatment of homosexuals..."
I guess the label of "abomination" and/or the death penalty doesn't count as "prejudice", a "hate crime", or "mistreatment".
When they tell you that you can control your homosexual urges and thoughts, tell them they can also control their urge to judge and feel self righteous and they choose not to
"A person who has homosexual leanings can control what he allows his mind to dwell on, just as he would control any other wrong desire, including leanings towards anger, adultery or greed."
Yes, except that living your entire life without anger, adultery or greed would be a good thing. Living your life without sex or love is not such a great thing.
Devon and Cornwall Police have said a leaflet posted through doors in North Devon isn't a crime – despite it advising gay people to "control their urges" - strictly speaking, I fear they may be correct.
However, gay people don't appreciate leaflets being put through their doors that state that their way of life or relationships are disgusting/wrong. Gay people need to "control their urges"? How about the WTS and other bigoted groups confront the fact that gay people are perfectly normal people who have feelings.
Also most people wouldn't appreciate their children looking at these leaflets.
Can't the JWs be done on 'disturbance of the peace'?
Yeah, homophobic rhetoric considered acceptable in Jesusland USA is very likely to be viewed quite dimly in the rest of the civilized world.
A lesson the US-based GB dolts don't seem capable of learning.
It shows how isolated they are from public opinion to think that this message is appropriate for distribution. Either they are deliberately trying to provoke the community or they are just ignorant.
It's easy for a half-dozen married (maybe) straight guys to tell hundreds of thousands of other people to "control their urges" (i.e. go without sex).
After all, they don't have to do it...
...unless they're not doing it either, which - let's be honest - would explain a lot.
nugget - "...either they are deliberately trying to provoke the community or they are just ignorant."
A little from Column 'A', a little from Column 'B'... :smirk:
BRJ "Hate is wrong........"
Yes hate is wrong! Although the JWS claim they are a Religion of love their beliefs are full of hateful practices.
To list just a few they have a historic record of hating children.
1. HOW many witnesses to a rape of a child? What idiot is going to say hey Joe I am going to rape a kid come watch so there is a witness. Even if they come up with a witness in their bloody eyes it is still only a sin and not a crime. The WT are a bunch of flaming retards who HATE people and love money.
2. You can spank your child. See the ARC G.Jack...son tried his hardest to cover that one up under oath. He stumbled on that question. The WT are a bunch of flaming retards who HATE people and love money.
3. Make your little child sit still and pay attention for 2 hours during "our" boring meetings. Sophia and Caleb cover it in one of their horrid videos. The WT are a bunch of flaming retards who HATE people and love money.
4. Be a female married to an abusive JW male and try to report this to an Elder. You think you will be heard try again advise you will get is go home be a better wife and go pray about it. The WT are a bunch of flaming retards who HATE people and love money.
5. If you are homosexual, pray about Jehovah will fix it. Sophia and Caleb have a video for this one too. Do not act on your urges. The WT are a bunch of flaming retards who HATE people and love money.
6. If you wish to do any type of charity work for your community forget that idea, you need to be out there preaching. The WT are a bunch of flaming retards who HATE people and love money.
7. Finally if you are a pedophile even if you have been convicted of the crime the WT welcomes you and will hide you. They love you and will welcome you with open arms and tell no one. Not even the parents of their children.
NEVER a JW and I would have been an Elder's worst nightmare!
Have always been in my spare time a child advocate, women's advocate, Masonic community, gay rights advocate and I do not believe in Religion.
I believe very strongly in a loving and caring God.