Up date on what I decided to do about back surgery

by Still Totally ADD 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Hello all,

It has been 4 1/2 weeks since I had back surgery. I had L4and L5 fused, disk was suck out replaced with a artificial disk and a bracket or what they called a cage with 4 screws holding it all together. I went in on a Tuesday and was out of the hospital the next day. The first few days was rough but by the time the weekend came I was feeling a whole lot better. I am now will along to healing with little or no pain. This week I am according to instruction weaning myself off the back brace.

I have learned why opiates are very dangerous. Even though I had a 10 day supply of them taking them every 4 hours I only did that for 2 1/2 days. But it took me 3 days of withdraw to get over the effects of them. Lot's of anxiety and hot and cold sweats. Regular pain pills did just fine and I have not needed one for over 2 weeks. These things are dangerous. I had no idea.

I was told it may be until May next year before I can go back to work. It all depends on me to follow the doctor's instruction. I must say at this point I am glad I did this. Which leads me to my next point.

I have a lot of time to read which I am doing and a lot of time to reflect on my life. I feel like I am more centered more clam with myself and at peace. I sometimes feel like I have conquered my ADD. I am able to think clearly and read will into the evening. Something I was never able to do. But I do realize there is more to it but who knows?

I am able to walk several blocks everyday. I do this twice a day. I am getting stronger as time goes on. The doctor says I am doing great and I feel very good. Reading this site everyday has help me to better understand how we all feel and how hard it is for all of us to regain our individuality. Our pain we all have is what brings us together no matter what our thinking is on politics. I really respect that.

My wife has been great. She is such a great care giver. She is a rock and has been very supportive. I am a very lucky man. If there is a draw back to all of this is I am not allowed to drive, lift, bend, push or pull anything. Foremost do not bend my back. My wife has keep me me from doing this. I liken her to a pit bull when it comes to this. All this and home cook meals.

That's about it for now and I can't wait until next spring so I can start gardening again. You all take care. Still Totally ADD

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Glad to hear you're doing well. How long until you can bend?

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

Thank you for sharing your experience about opiates. We generally only hear about hardcore addictions but to hear about someone having a "light" brush and what it took to get over them is really useful. Wow! I will never take even one, now.

Glad to hear things are generally going well. Your wife sounds like a treasure!

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Hi Jamie good to hear from you. I don't know. My next doctor appointment is Nov. 7. They will take a X-ray of my back to see how well I healing. Maybe they will let me then.

Cadllin you are right she is a treasure. I use to laugh at this slogan back in the 80's but I feel it is really true "just say no to drugs". The pharmaceutical companies have us by our you know what.

Both of you take care. Still Totally ADD

• Wakanda
    Wakanda

Get well soon. Keep up the walking, as I'm sure you will. Thank you so much for the info on opiates, that was intense.

Hopefully cannabis will be legal everywhere soon, I imagine that would help. That is if people could replace cannabis for the opiates, but if you are still in the hospital...

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Wakanda I am with you on the legalization of marijuana. Again I feel it is big Pharma who is against. Everything I have read on marijuana for pain control looks positive. Also good for PTSD. Still Totally ADD

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Good to hear that you are doing better. I wish you a full and fast recovery.

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

Still Totally ADD,

Glad to hear you are recovering nicely and that your wife takes such good care of you!

Opioid addiction is so incideous and dangerous. My sister is enslaved by them, and they don't work anymore now that she has developed a tolerance. She was up to 140 pills a month last I knew. Clearly an unethical doctor.

I started taking medical marijuana for PTSD, but still haven't found the right balance to stay focused for work and be able to drive safely for daytime use. It works wonders for sleep though-- 7-8 hours with no flashbacks or nightmares.

Take care,

Diane

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Scratchme thank you for the wishes.

Diana so sorry to hear about your sister. I can only vaguely relate to that. All I know it it scary stuff. Let me know how your treatment is working. I to suffer with PTSD. I use a service dog. It really help me when I would wake up in the middle of the night sweating and my heart going thousand miles a hour. I stop and think if my baby girl was not barking and jumping around it was only a nightmare. Now days this only happens once in a blue moon where before every night. Good luck to and take care.

Still Totally ADD

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

Still Totally ADD, I'm so happy to hear you have a service dog! My little girl (photo stage left) is my service dog. She is a Shi Tzu Poodle mix. Emma really helps me on those days when I would otherwise hide at home. What breed of dog do you have?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit