Alert: Women and Men who Care!!

by patio34 42 Replies latest social current

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Sam, I don't care how many docs he has working with him/for him. My gyno is in a group with 12. That is not unusual at all. They are factories. You get exactly 10 minutes with the doc. Less if you need a pap smear and a pill script.

Sit down, legs up, open, swab, close, fell your belly, close, ask if you need a script and they are gone to the next patient.

They are much more concerned with PREGNANT women. The liability is much higher.

As for telling women to pray for PMS. Next time you wrench your back, sprain your ankle, have a migraine headache or anyother *pain* I suggest you *pray*. See how that works to relieve your pain....

It won't.

His credentials are not that impressive. Many OB/GYNs have the same.

I'll never understand why women go to a man for this anyway. At least a woman has experienced cramps, bloating, mood swings, etc. A man simply will never understand.

• Francois
    Francois

KGB and others, if you think Bush is bad, controlling other's lives and reproductive health, you just wait until a left wingnut gets in there and gets a shot a controlling you. You'll think Bush was Francis of Assissi.

Francois

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Miss Teen said:

“Sam, I don't care how many docs he has working with him/for him. My gyno is in a group with 12.
    That is not unusual at all. They are factories. You get exactly 10 minutes with the doc.
    Less if you need a pap smear and a pill script.

Sit down, legs up, open, swab, close, fell your belly, close, ask if you need a script and they
    are gone to the next patient.

They are much more concerned with PREGNANT women. The liability is much higher.

As for telling women to pray for PMS. Next time you wrench your back, sprain your ankle,
    have a migraine headache or anyother *pain* I suggest you *pray*. See how that works to relieve your pain....

It won’t

His credentials are not that impressive. Many OB/GYNs have the same.

I'll never understand why women go to a man for this anyway. At least a woman has experienced
    cramps, bloating, mood swings, etc. A man simply will never understand.”

Dear Friend (Ms. Teen)

My point was that he IS a usual “gyno” in many ways.

Your point about pregnant women is well taken. That is where the “action” often is for them.
    They are, after all surgeons, on the surgical service if they are in a large medical complex,
    not the medical side. There is often a big difference between surgery and medicine in the
    “medical” community. A well trained internist is usually a good place to start when seeking
    medical care.

About the prayer stuff, my point is that we have nearly zero information on his stance with
    this issue. I have not read his book (s) and no one who has read them has posted here. We
    simply have far too little evidence to comment intelligently on the man's qualifications.

As for going to male vs. female docs, that is another issue, separate from the topic of this
    thread. If you care to start such a thread, I’ll be pleased to comment. I see several physicians,
    some of whom are ladies! Hint, there are both good and bad docs among both genders, IMO.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim
    Hager's mission is religiously motivated. He has an ardent interest in revoking approval for mifepristone (formerly known as RU-486) as a safe and early form of medical abortion.

Effective, perhaps...safe???? Some studies say no. Just as Hormone Therapy was once called "safe and effective"

The world doesn't need an abortion pill. Killing babies by popping a pill will only further objectify women.

Yep...I'm pro-life.

Let's get rid of Partial Birth Abortion before we go around approving Pill Popping abortions.

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

These comments are a response from Dr. W. David Hager to various comments made about him:

May I begin by telling you that no one who has written about me or broadcast information about me has ever interviewed me. The information being disseminated is rumor and innuendo. I am pro-life and believe in the sanctity of human life.

I participated in the Citizens Petition to the FDA asking that RU-486 be withdrawn temporarily from the market until further investigation could be done out of my concern for the health and well-being of women and their unborn children. Mifeprex was approved under an Accelerated Approval Process, Subpart H, that has been reserved exclusively for anti-AIDS and anti-cancer drugs and an antihypertensive agent. All medications that are life saving, which mifeprex is not. The FDA always requires one or more than one randomized, controlled trials before approving a drug. There were none for mifeprex (RU-486). The nonrandomized, uncontrolled trials that were done insisted on the woman having an ultrasound scan to locate the pregnancy and insure that it was not outside the uterus (an ectopic pregnancy). The guidelines for use now do not require such a scan and we have reports already of death and morbidity from ruptured ectopic pregnancies since the symptoms of a ruptured ectopic and abortion from mifeprex are the same; abdominal pain and bleeding. The FDA requires that medications that may be used in children and adolescents be studied in those groups before approval (The Pediatric Rule) and this was not done with mifeprex. There have been two seriously infected 15 year olds. Finally, in studies reported to date, among women who fail to abort after receiving mifeprex (and this occurs 5-8% of the time when administered up to 7 weeks gestation) there have been limb deformities and absent limbs. I feel that the drug needs further study. Searle Laboratories, the manufacturer of misoprostol (the second drug taken after mifepristone) has issued a medical alert asking that the drug never be used in pregnant women due to risks of cardiovascular problems. There has been a fatal heart attack in France and a non-fatal one here in a 21 year old.

Regarding contraception, I advise all of my non-married patients that abstinence is the best way to avoid non-marital pregnancy and STDs. If she insists on being sexually active or is already active, I advise the use of birth control pills and condoms as well. I do not believe that standard dose birth control pills are abortifacient, and have never written that. There is a chapter in a book I co-edited, that purports this idea, but it was included in our book to offer an alternative opinion, not because we believed the idea. Since when is it wrong to offer alternative opinions?

Regarding my management and writing about stress-related disorders in women, I have always offered a holistic approach to therapy. I suggest diet/exercise changes, medications as needed, counseling when required, and meditation/prayer. This is very distasteful to NOW and Planned Parenthood.

I hope this helps you and enables you to see how "horrible" I am in the eyes of the organizations you mention as encouraging me not to serve this Administration.
    W. David Hager, M.D.
    The University of Southern California does not screen or control the content on this website and thus does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such content. All content on this website is provided by and is the sole responsibility of the person from which such content originated, and such content does not necessarily reflect the opinions of the University administration or the Board of Trustees

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Thanks Sam

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

PMS = Stress related disorder....

Why bother discussing. That is the whole problem. It is not STRESS.

When your body is contracting in pain, it is not STRESS.

*Holistic* my ass...

• Bendrr
    Bendrr
    Hey People you women and men alike post on this board how much you love the Bush administration, well this is what you can expect from who you voted for.

KGB, much as I hate to say it I have to agree with you. To type that hurt more than you will ever know. Yes we elected a right-wing Republican to lead our country. It's a hard decision that many of us have to make every four years. Unfortunately, until a Libertarian runs for president and actually has a chance at winning, it's our only choice.

I'm not going to get involved in the pro/anti abortion debate. That's one of the areas I will NEVER go. I wish abortion didn't have to happen at all, but I also recognize that it will never be legislated out of existence and can't be. Nor should it be.

I'd much rather have a President who didn't champion any social cause. Our Presidents have enough to do without trying to bring their own personal beliefs into the Oval Office.

Mike.

• patio34
    patio34

The posts on this thread are great.

I just put it up as an FYI sort of thing. But before we get tooooo hung up on abortion, please remember that it is about much more than that. And just to question Dr. Hager is not to be pro-abortion. Please hold up on the polemics!

But also, please remember that women are full-fledged citizens with rights. We make up over half of the population. To try to impose the rigidity of no birth control unless you're married would mess up so many women's lives. It would be far better to have a more objective person not so influenced by religion, imo. But I can exercise that opinion at the polls and express it here, being entitled to respect, just as I respect others'. It is NOT disrespectful, SamBeli, to quote Time magazine or other media.

Pat

• patio34
    patio34

P. S. I haven't read all of posts as I'm at work. I'll read them tomorrow as I'll be out all evening. I'm "auditioning" for a womens' barbershop harmony chorus!

. Cheers! -- Pat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit