What does the rise of Donald Trump tell us about the USA?

by fulltimestudent 52 Replies latest social current

• Terry
    Terry

The Topic has as a premise a basic fallacy.
    It is a Category Error.
    Talking about "America" is like talking about "Christianity" because there ain't no such thing--except as a concept.
    The article you referenced feels like it was penned by a fringe radical POV rather than a neutral journalist. I did some checking.
    Vox senior correspondent Amanda Taub
    in each of the articles I've read takes the point of view that Terrorists were created by their victims. That's right, blame the victims.
    Radicals exist within every microcosm in some degree.
    We are not supposed to blame ISLAM for terrorists, right?
    Then why blame America for Manifest Destiny?

Manifest Destiny? Are you serious?
    The phrase appeared in an article in a very obscure magazine in Texas in 1845. The article was on annexation of Texas--not the World at Large! It was published in the July-August edition of the United States Magazine and the Democratic Review.

Not one person in a thousand would have read it. It couldn't have influenced people who didn't read it, could it? No.
    So, it's silly to extrapolate backwards through actual history and try to make this a rallying cry of an entire nation.

One wonders how solution oriented it is to lock the barn door after the horses have run off.

This approach to problem solving harkens back to a time when women who were rape victims were blamed for wearing the wrong clothes because it meant they were "asking for it." This is wrong-headed for rape and just as wrong for terrorism.

What does the USA have in common with a rape victim? Both have been terrorized by radicals.
    Is the entire population of the U.S. guilty of "Asking for it?"

The people of America have little or nothing to do with the policies of a President and his Military advisors and their often Jingoistic exploits abroad. Most often, the really unfortunate Black Ops, such as under Reagan (Iran-Contra) aren't even known by the President himself!

So, forgot the hegemony as far as dragging the American people into it.

Ideology splits people down the middle!
    What Dems do the GOP decry. What the GOP does, the Dems decry.

Half the country, at any one moment, is displeased with what the other half is enthusiastically endorsing.

Hillary lovers don't appreciate Bernie Sanders. Bernie lovers are dead set against HIllary.
    The Republican establishment really dislikes Ted and Donald down to their toenails.

The voting population is pretty much stuck with lousy choices, no matter what.

_________

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

What does the rise of Donald Trump tell us about the USA?

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/down-trend-chart-22494501.jpg
  • fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent
    kaik: many Trump supporters want him to be a strong man like Putin in Russia.

Good point. And it raises the question, does Stenner's theory of a subset of people with latent authoritarian terndencies hold good for ALL human societies?

Is Putin supported by such a subset of Russians?

We can imagine early human societies may have wanted/needed strong authoritarian leaders.

Does Stenner's theory hold good in China, which moves steadily toward a more open society?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

freddo : USA may have been the power (business and militarily) hegemon of the world since WW1 but the description falls down in it's cultural influence.

I live in Australia freddo, so I'm somewhat isolated from Europe. But I see my society as less "Australian" and more "American," however you read those terms. In fact, one could see Tony Abbott, our recently outed PM as a local version of an authoritarian leader like Trump.

freddo: Actually given it's awesome power I believe it has been quite benign militarily speaking and I believe its British background roots has a lot to do with this.

Really?

• Terry
    Terry
    Los Angeles is larger than most countries of the world with about 500 square miles. This means you can seldom describe the weather specifically and truthfully at the same time.
    America has over 300 million people. What those people think can seldom be described specifically and truthfully at the same time.

Trump followers say nothing about "America" any more than Russellites said anything meaningful about America.
    Category mistakes are not straightforward – they are pragmatically inappropriate because they suffer from presupposition failures.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Homer thinks Trump is Jesus who has returned to earth to save mankind

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass

It amazes me. Talk about Muslim terrorists and everyone shits down your throat for "generalizing". But it's quite ok to generalize about the US. Ok I'll take that license, thanks. Yes all Muslims are terrorists. All Canadians say eh and only play hockey and all Aussies surf and say the c word.

amazing how some of you pick and choose what you can generalize about when it suits your confirmation bias.

I Hate trump and I'm not American so shove it.

I say I'm not emotional but I reckon I'm lying to myself. Because I'd really love to ram my foot up you social justice warriors assholes.

Ban me. I'm done with reading SJW rhetoric. I'd rather face them in the street and see if they want to stick with their rhetoric when they're staring me in the face.

anyone who wants my help with health and exercise can contact me at [email protected]. Thanks to all those people here with common sense who actually had something real to teach me.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    I'm done with reading SJW rhetoric

SCC it runs deep on here. And there is a general anti American slant to much of what goes on here. I just shake my head.

I don't support trump in any way and just because of what the virtue signal folks think about me even asking a question I got compared to a trump supporter. I think the question was what is the answer to the recent terror escalation in Europe and I got thrown under the new Godwin's/straw man Nazi figure.. Trump!!!

Let me message you my number and email before we both get disfellowshipped

• Finkelstein
  • Simon
    Simon

Wow, some real tightly wound up people on here. Borderline paranoid. Yes, everyone is coming to get you and it's a big plot. Only you can save the world. Never stop fighting, never stop.

Sheesh.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    I'm as mellow as ever. I know its not for me to convince all of you america is more than a bunch of bumpkin hillbillies any more than I can stop actual bumpkin hillbillies from voting for trump lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit