List of "pagan" things JW's allow

by problemaddict 2 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

Anyone want to help me with this? What I'm looking for specifically is things that are "pagan" in the sense they predate Christianity (or I guess Judiasm to cover the ole mosaic code), that JW's allow or do. the ones that come to mind are below.

Rings - Rings seem to originate in Egypt. For wedding ceremonies it became a symbol of "ownership" in Rome.

Pinatas - Looks like possibly it originated in China as a part of the new year and a request for luck, and Catholics later turned it into a beating of temptation type thing.

Anything else?

(I would have added human sacrifice, but specifically I am using this to be able to point out specific inconsistencies and that argument may not be appreciated by my audience)

• rational1
    rational1

Wedding-everything is loaded with pagan origins.. cakes were for good luck, ring on fourth finger had some mystical tie to the heart.. etc.

• TimeBandit
    TimeBandit

I wish they allowed Lucky Charms cereal. They're magically delicious...

TB-

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Most of thier beliefs! The god they worship!

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Thinks with pagan symbolism:

Wedding rings

Honeymoons

Flying kites

Wearing neckties

perfume

Calendars, the months are named Roman God

From JW facts:

For example, when discussing piñatas, Watchtower advises to contemplate how they are currently regarded:

“A main concern is, not what the practice meant hundreds of years ago, but how it is viewed today in your area. Understandably, opinions may vary from one place to another. Hence, it is wise to avoid turning such matters into big issues.” Awake! 2003 Sep 22 pp.23-24

It's hilarious that they say in one case it doesn't matter what the history is, what counts is how they are viewed today, but in other cases you can't do something because it once had a pagan meaning.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

What about the use of Platters. John the baptists head was presented on a platter which proves pagans used platters therefore JW's shouldn't.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Vacations to Disney...You know...the magic Kingdom!

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

I love this!

I would also add geoomsmen and bridesmaids........they were supposed to confuse possible hoarders or something?

Platers is awesome

Lisa rose, explain neckties and flying kites por favor.

• smiddy
    smiddy

How about wedding anniversarys , isn`t that akin to birthday celebrations ?

problemaddict 2 , maybe you should start a thread on what was allowed by Jehovah that is now frowned upon by

JW`s ,Eg,beards ,even though they depict in their illustrations of the heavenly class as all having beards.

smiddy

• Heartsafire
    Heartsafire

Wind chimes, rock crystals, makeup, and dancing, the days of the week, the Roman calander. Pretty much anything can be linked to paganism.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit