AGREE? or DISAGREE? Popular Music

by Terry 52 Replies latest jw friends

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

There is certainly a penchant for creating music featuring cristal, ho's, and the size of one's booty. However, that's just some popular music. There's probably more songs featuring that end of the spectrum as culture widens. There's also lots of room for good songs, and here's just a few examples from the current top songs:

7 Years by Lukas Graham

No by Meghan Trainor seems to be the antithesis to the culture you're pointing out

Love Yourself by Justin Beiber

One Call Away by Charlie Puth

Stitches by Shawn Mendes

Hello by Adele

Taylor Swift, just about any song you want to choose

......and I could go on and on. Those are all recent chart topping hits. You can look at those or choose others to focus on. That's the beauty of music today, that you can find all types. And these are just "pop" songs. There are plenty of rock, country, alternative, rap, etc. songs that aren't what you're focusing on to define modern music. It certainly has that element, along with a huge amount of every other type of music. Maybe certain things weren't talked about back in the day, but that didn't mean that they didn't exist. You can find whatever you want to find in music today.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Pop music has always always always been a mix of dumb and good lyrics. There is more variety today, so there will be more dumb lyrics. But there are also good lyrics. Even some things that you or I would hate sometimes have great lyrics, sometimes it's just meant for others to "get it" and not for you.

I mean, are the lyrics to ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK something special?
    How about ITSY BITSY YELLOW POLKA DOT BIKINI
    or FLYING PURPLE PEOPLE EATER

Oh, I could go on and on about the stupid lyrics of songs at the beginning of your timeframe. I even like many of the things with stupid lyrics. Sometimes stupid works and the thing is awesome. Sometimes, we don't know WTF happened and why everyone is flocking to it. Other times, it just flops
    I will just end with the terrible words that seem to make my point- 1957's AT THE HOP by Danny and the Juniors:

Bah-bah-bah-bah, bah-bah-bah-bah
    Bah-bah-bah-bah, bah-bah-bah-bah, at the hop!

Well, you can rock it you can roll it
    You can slop and you can stroll it at the hop
    When the record starts spinnin'
    You chalypso* when you chicken at the hop
    Do the dance sensation that is sweepin' the nation at the hop

Ah, let's go to the hop
    Let's go to the hop (oh baby)
    Let's go to the hop
    Come on, let's go to the hop

Well, you can swing it you can groove it
    You can really start to move it at the hop
    Where the jockey is the smoothest
    And the music is the coolest at the hop
    All the cats and chicks can get their kicks at the hop
    Let's go!

Ah, let's go to the hop
    Let's go to the hop
    Let's go!

[Instrumental Interlude]

Well, you can rock it you can roll it
    You can slop and you can stroll it at the hop
    When the record starts spinnin'
    You chalypso* when you chicken at the hop
    Do the dance sensation that is sweepin' the nation at the hop

Well, you can swing it you can groove it
    You can really start to move it at the hop
    Where the jockey is the smoothest
    And the music is the coolest at the hop
    All the cats and chicks can get their kicks at the hop
    Let's go!

Ah, let's go to the hop
    Let's go to the hop
    Let's go!

Bah-bah-bah-bah, bah-bah-bah-bah
    Bah-bah-bah-bah, bah-bah-bah-bah, at the hop!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

As we grow older we also intellectually mature , which makes listening to silly unintelligent music even more unappealing.

ie. the parents of the teens that started to listen to early Rock and Roll of the mid 1950's thought it was just trash.

From us folks that have been listening to popular music since the early 1960's, we can see the differences from each decade produced forward as to the overall quality.

It might be due to are own listening experience to why we are so selective to what appeals to us now, more so than young teenagers. ????

One thing to note is that the music sold and produced in the past had to hold up on its own merits without videos or a woman shaking her ass just to sell and promote the songs.

• Finkelstein
  • littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

When you think about the nominees for the Grammy song of the year in 1971 choices being Let It Be by the The Beatles, Bridge Over Troubled Water by Simon and Garfunkel, Close To You by The Carpenters, Everything Is Beatiful by Ray Stevens and Fire And Rain by the James Taylor and think about the songs released today there is no comparison to the music now and the music back then.

LRG

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I know that I am sounding like my father.... But Yes. I agree with Terry. The music of our day was relevant to the times we lived in. Bob Dylan moved a generation and scared the hell out of our parents. The Beatles And The Stones and the rest were a big part of the culture of the day

Who is big right now? I don't know.. It is irrelevant.

• sir82
    sir82

WTF?

First "there is no such thing as mental illness" and now "the illuminati control popular music"?

What exactly do they put in that Starbucks coffee you've been drinking every day?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

"the Illuminati control popular music"?

Yes I agree under the control of George Bush of course.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

@OTWO, so cool you posted At The Hop lyrics - just last week we showed that on You tube to our granddaughter and had a blast. Well, she was born in the wrong decade, as she loves David Bowie, Beatles, The Doors, etc., and the MONKEES! Lol well we are lucky, and having too much fun with "our" music. But the stuff that's getting the awards nowadays at the Grammys is just awful, I'm sorry.

Marina

• Caedes
    Caedes

This is exactly the sort of thing that is said by every generation, I have no doubt that Terry's dad had much the same thing to say about Terry's music. No doubt his grandfather also said the same about his dad's taste in music.

Yes, some music is crap and vapid. It has always been this way and always will. The artists that put out good music that stands the test of time are few and far between.

What changes is our willingness to hunt down the good stuff, it takes time and effort to find the gems.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit