Two coins of little value? Ok! Sure (!)

by purrpurr 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• purrpurr
    purrpurr

Last Thursday meeting was the verbal begging bowl item. In which having told the audience that WT doesn't ask for money... proceeded to then ask for money.

Among the usual scriptures cited "honor God with your valuable things" etc was also the widows mite story "she dropped in two coins of little value.."

And it occurred to me, two coins of little value in the UK would be two one penny coins! I wonder if the congregation could get away with dropping 2p into the box every month? In a cong of 100 people that would add up to barely £2! Maybe next time they do their begging for money I should suggest that?

What do you think?

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Great observation. Jesus' point was that you have to give everything to him. He was quite a swindler, I wonder how long it will be before the WTBTS starts to assess "pay god what is due him and caesar what is due him" as "pay WTBTS income tax"

• steve2
    steve2

If everyone I knew gave me two coins, I'd be super happy. Well, it's a start.

Regarding the GB begging letters and program parts for your valuable things, perhaps they wish they - or their earlier counterparts, such as Rutherford - had institutionalised tithing.

They could successfully have argued that, while the Old Law Code has been superseded, the principles remain in place. After all, "Jehovah" does not change.

Look at those religious groups that tithe - LDS (Mormons), Seventh-Day Adventists, Assemblies of God and the more fundamentalist Baptist Churches - they're doing fine and even flourishing .

• sir82
    sir82

I have long thought the WTS is green with envy when it views the Mormons & how they get away with enforced tithing.

IMO, it's only a matter of time until the WTS implements some form of mandatory tithing. I suspect it will start with "appointed men" ("if you want to keep your 'privileges', cough up the dough") and then spread from there.

• skin
    skin

They already do have a form of mandatory tithing, each month the congregations are expected to send $xxx to the branch to cover a form of rent for the hall in which they already own. 18 months ago now our congregation got a rather rude letter from the branch because as a congregation, for 2 consecutive months, we failed to meet that $xxx amount that had been pledged to them. We had to make up this shortfall by giving them a donating from the congregation local account which is only there to cover the basic running costs.

• sir82
    sir82

Yeah but that is at the congregation level.

The WTS loves its control over individuals.

I can see tithing as a sort of "loyalty test".

Or maybe as one of those "real measures" to see if someone is "qualified" to be appointed (they'll give lip service to the qualifications of 1 Timothy 3, but we all know the "real" qualifications to be appointed are 10 hours of field service per month, at least semi-regular commenting at meetings, family not an embarrassment to the org., etc.)

• Spiral
    Spiral

IDK, I'd have to say in my Mom's congregation tithing wouldn't collect very much. Too many poor people. All the successful professional types that were here two decades ago are elderly or gone. The elders and M servants here now are all poor, several just living on social security. Congregation half the size of what it used to be.

The Mormons have the other half of that equation right, because they encourage education. The local Mormon congregation here is larger and wealthier.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Jesus christ this is like ground hog day. Ive been arguing with slim and saying the same things regarding tithing

• waton
    waton

Perhaps Jesus, who after praising the widow at the temple , also declared that the whole thing was doomed , and had a hidden message? like:

There is something wrong here, even two pennies is too much?

• Half banana
    Half banana

There is a big difference in paying ten percent of one's income to the Mormon church to how it would be to the JW Org.

The Mormons fund many social schemes which apart from the emotional comfort derived from their nonsensical beliefs, gives the Mormon an important welfare safety net and on top of that, entertainment to boot. In these respects the "whole person" appears to be catered for by the religion.

I believe that in some if not all of the Adventist faiths who tithe, also have social welfare provided along with a healthy lifestyle ethos. Their claims are that tithing is a sacred thing to do for the purpose of funding the spreading of the word.

The JW faith has always played the hard line doomsday cult; believe it or get chucked out. Their financial dealings are usually hidden from the members except their obvious pride and pleasure in property ownership. From soon after its inception it was noted by outside commentators that it invested in property to its great advantage, a habit it has never relinquished.

Surely, if the imminent end of the world was really being preached, it could be organised by volunteers from a small office HQ.

Nevertheless the point is that JWs would be changing their 'spots' were they to justify tithing. Firstly on the religious account that their private sacred beliefs preclude literal application of OT injunctions (unless it is expedient to do otherwise!) and secondly, if they were to justify the vast income generated they might feel compelled to actually give something back!

The fact is that they are constitutionally unable to get involved in any practical, compassionate help for their members, not even when they are the cause of it being needed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit