Films of the decade - 70s

by LoveUniHateExams 14 Replies latest social entertainment

• Justaguy
    Justaguy

Im always happy to have the new hope/empire discussion, they both kick ass, and i like aliens more than alien, hands down. Not all sequels blow. Just most. And no trilogy or beyond has ever held up or gotten better.

i look forward to your 80’s choices. Rambo is, arguably, one of the best acting performances ever. If you can watch the town burn while rambo has an emotional break down and not feel bad for rambo, your heart is made of stone…… then comes rambo 2. But im getting ahead of myself, i will await your 80’s discussion!

• Justaguy
    Justaguy

Omg wait….. how could we forget Superman then original movie???? It spawned every superhero since and set the gold standard for 30 years. Reeve was, in my young mind, superman. As a kid, with god as my witness, i wore a cape under my clothes. I have rewatched it a 1000 times and it still holds up as a gem. And the sequel was just as good, likely because they were filmed as one movie, although it crosses decades.

• JeffT
    JeffT

The Andromeda Strain - I thought this was a really good movie, I saw it at least three times the summer it came out.

M*A*S*H - This one has some flaws (that football game is way too long), but it came out at the height of the Vietnam War and this is a good anti-war film. Many people forget it was a movie before it was a TV show. Hardly anybody knows it was a book before it was a movie.

Woodstock!!! - Did a fantastic job capturing the 60's music scene.

Love Story - Yeah its sappy, but it's a great date movie.

Patton - I'm a history buff, George C Scott does a job with the title role.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

And no trilogy or beyond has ever held up or gotten better - yes, this is true.

However, one film stands out to me - the 7th film of the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise - Wes Craven's New Nightmare (1994). That film's very good. Wes Craven was way ahead of his time - that film was meta before meta became trendy.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Willy Wonka, The Spy Who Loved Me, Monty Python and the Holy Grail and Life of Brian, Pete's Dragon, Alien, Godfather, A Clockwork Orange and Aristocats (because of Maurice Chevalier)

Some real classics in that era. The 60s-90s were the golden age of modern film.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit