Films of the decade - 70s

by LoveUniHateExams 14 Replies latest social entertainment

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Well, I'm spoilt for choice for the seventies!

So many good movies. I own a few more films from this decade - 41 to be exact.

So many great films came out in this decade ...

The Godfather (1972)

The Exorcist (1973)

The Godfather Part 2 (1974)

Jaws (1975)

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (1975)

Rocky (1976)

Taxi Driver (1976)

A New Hope (1977)

Halloween (1978)

Alien (1979)

Jaws was the first summer blockbuster, and A New Hope pushed the boundaries of special FX, most of which still hold up today, 44 years later.

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is so good I saw it twice as a 12-year old, knowing that I'd wake up tired for school the next morning, lol. I didn't care.

One of my favorite films ever is Rocky - the film's a masterpiece, IMO. It's so gritty, with the main character so relatable and likeable. The supporting cast is also very good.

It comes across as real people living real lives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QHTAWwE0Dk

• Justaguy
    Justaguy

You have chosen wisely on all counts.

i do however have one serious problem with virtually all your (correct) choices: ss this is the era that spawned “the sequel” which has essentially ruined modern movies.

Rocky 1 was unbelievably good, something we forget by the time rocky 4 and beyond come around.

Alien was fantastic and was followed up by the also fantastic aliens…. But by the time ripley is cloned with alien blood we forget that greatness.

Jaws was a fantastic, if not factually flawed, story that gave life to everyones fears of the unknown in the ocean…. By the end of jaws two when he feeds the shark a power cable nobody can take it seriously, to speak nothing of the all time lows found in “jaws the revenge”

the godfather one and two are still cinematic masterpieces that are beloved and quoted as often as often any other movies… but also spawned godfather 3

halloween? Please. Self explanatory.

and of course, both the greatest and most heartbreaking of all, Starwars. We go from ben kenobi sacrificing himself, Vader being the most badass to ever badass and luke blowing the death star to f***ing ewoks defeating the empire with rocks. F***ing. Ewoks.

i look back at those great movies and rewatch them even now with fondness, but there is always a tinge of sadness knowing what they spawned.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Quadrophenia - 1979

A Clockwork Orange - 1971

Dad's Army - 1971

Sweeney - 1977

Sweeny 2 - 1978

I don't really watch American films because I just don't feel it's my culture, Buddy.

I'll let them off with Jaws because despite the whining drawling voices of the kids, it was a good film.

• St George of England
    St George of England

I haven't seen all the ones on your list Uni but two of my favourites from the 70's:-

The Day of the Jackal

The French Connection

The Bruce Willis remake of The Jackal was a disaster, only watched it once.

George

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

the Towering Inferno.

• punkofnice
  • punkofnice
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

A Clockwork Orange - 1971 - yeah, that film's awesome.

I guess Quadrophenia is good, too - I've never seen it, but would like to.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

ss this is the era that spawned “the sequel” which has essentially ruined modern movies - yes it is, and your comments are pretty much spot on.

The trend is for the first film in a franchise to be excellent, then the quality gets worse and worse the more sequels film studios crap out.

But I don't like to think that sequels ruined the original movies - however lame the ewoks are, or however silly Rocky 4 is, the original films in those two franchises are still great.

And let's not forget the first sequel in the Star Wars franchise - The Empire Strikes Back. That film was even better than the first, IMO.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I guess Quadrophenia is good, too - I've never seen it, but would like to.

It's iconic. There are some continuity gaffs which means you can see late 1970's things where 1960's things should be. Worth a squint. In one scene you can see Nicholas Lyndhurst next to a scooter briefly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit