Suppose You Said "I Forgive the Watchtower"?

by metatron 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• metatron
    metatron

You may be confronted with relatives and Witness friends who annoy you, with self-righteous comments about "coming back

to the 'truth' and other judgemental urgings.

Suppose you replied "I forgive the Watchtower Society for the terrible things they've done, I need to do that so I can progess as a

spiritual person".

Such a response might be very disarming - and difficult to counter.

Witnesses generally reject the notion that the Watchtower can ever do anything wrong - rationalizing that any cruelties they

inflict are somehow part of a greater Divine purpose.

Such a statement might enable you to "take the high ground" - in that you forgive an unloving group of old men who refuse

to change.

They can't change spiritually but you can.

metatron

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

I don't generally make it a practice to forgive those who refuse to make an apology. I can put behind me what they've done to me personally, but the crimes of the Watchtower society against all its victims goes beyond anything that I have the right to forgive.

Walter

Canadian District Overbeer

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

I like it. I think you are right--it would disarm the average JW. Their usual tactic is to put you on the defense. By saying you have "forgiven the WTS for the horrible things they've done," THEY, if they choose to, will be forced to pursue a discussion of the "horrible things". My guess is that they won't or can't discuss these things. Plus, adding your desire to move forward as a "spiritual person" is also very strong. My guess, however, is that they are more likely to hit that one, because we all know that "spirituality" is going to 5 meetings a week, studying the WT, going to assemblies, and preaching door to door at least 10 hours a month...

Very thoughtful and psychologically health comeback (which of course will confuse the JWs).

• avengers
    avengers

I forgive you for your hypocracy
    I forgive you for the fact that you slept with the Scarlet Colored Wild Beast.
    I forgive you for telling me I should quit my job making parts for the F16, while you had shares in military projects.
    I forgive you for informing us on how to use blood properly, resulting into the death of my granddaughter.
    I forgive you for telling my wife that I'm a spiritual danger.
    I forgive you for splitting up my family.
    I forgive you for polluting your own grounds while telling others that Jehovah will destroy them who destroys the earth.

F***********ck you.

No way. Die. That's what you should do. As quick as possible.

.....Andy

• avengers
    avengers

I can see where you're coming from though. It's something to think about, but being emotional as I am I don't think I could walk that road.

Wish I could.

Andy......

• minimus
    minimus

I don't think "FORGIVE" is the right word. A person really can't forgive the Watchtower. But I like the idea of disarming such a person.

• gambit
    gambit

I got into a similar argument with my ex over the weekend.... I contend the following...

I contend... Healing is a process that allows forgiveness.
    She contends... forgiveness is an event that allows healing.

I contend... I can forgive (as part of my process), but I'm not sure I will ever forget (certain events that you never want repeated)
    She contends... She can forgive and forget easier than anyone she knows (I say that's denial, cause no apology or examination has occured)

So, Suppose I said "I forgive the Watchtower"?

I may, after I am well into my healing process be able to say "I forgive"... But, so long as they fail to assume responsibility and continue to error against humanity I will not forget and I will not forgive them for what they continue to do to others.

gambit

• avengers
    avengers
    I like the idea of disarming such a person.

We have the tools.
    And if not we shall buy them, make them, or anything that's necesary to stop this madness.

Andy.

btw. Keep up the good work.

• Mr Lebowski
    Mr Lebowski

As a conversational ploy, it will be as ineffective as the "uhhh... my baptism is a do-over!" strategies I've seen posted.

As an actual means of healing yourself, you can forgive individuals, I don't think you can forgive an organization.

If you're trying to see how long you can stay pissed off, the answer is forever, but what does it get you besides stress-related health issues and reduced interpersonal communication skills? (When you stay pissed off for a long time, about anything, it comes out at inappropriate times).

Better to give as before, forgive, which does not require conditional performance first, just a letting go of the chip on your shoulder. ALl of you can do it, once you decide to, and when you do it will free up lots of energy for the rest of your life.

Respecfully,

The Duder

• rem
    rem

I guess I don't care enough about the Organization anymore to forgive or hold a grudge.

rem

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit