When is the last time you saw an educated middle class family become Jehovah's Witnesses?

by xjwsrock 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather
    In all seriousness, though, have you ever seen an educated middle or upper middle class person or family join this religion?

See what the Bible says at 1 Cor. 1:26-28

Brothers and sisters, think of what you were when you were called.Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. 27 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. 28 God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are,

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Dw, Now I know what Jehovah thought of me .

• Nicholaus Kopernicus
    Nicholaus Kopernicus

I haven't seen any such middle class / educated folks become JWs in recent years. However, I have seen several such families exit - health professional; geologist; accountant. Also mothers and victims of BoE bullying (via "shepherding visits" but more like the "kiss of death" as one elder used to say).

The recent declaration of the British Charity Commission's labeling the Watchtower Society of Britain's attempted obstruction of investigation as "unprecedented", is leading others to see how really loving "the society is"! The Watchtower Society of Britain has created a relatively safe pretext for departure (WT response to child abuse issue). Several in my congregation have departed since the Charity Commission's declaration. The BoE dare not respond punitively to this rationale for departure. Thus, the luminaries in the Britain Branch (Gillies, Papps et al) may have shot themselves in the foot! I picture them in my mind as demon possessed swine who will hopefully jump over a cliff!

• Half banana
    Half banana

NK, I really do wonder how a geologist can wrangle his mind to accommodate belief in 'creation' when all the evidence for evolution is in the rocks beneath him?

• SummerAngel
    SummerAngel

My family are however they converted decades ago but in a Cong of window cleaners, IT and retail professionals stand out. I've known a few people part way through uni degrees heading for good jobs bail and go into retail or pioneering . my dad particularly is a reader and thinker and I do wonder how he can be taken in by such nonsense. Interestingly he's never had any jobs to do ( they aren't privileges they're jobs)

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

One guy who just about made it to min serve was a trog. He went on the platform and myself and my now aposta-friend, used to wonder what stains he'd have on his shirt, or how far the back of his neck tie would dangle below the front kipper bit. He kept beers in the khai where they'd get splashes of wee wee on the cans. He wwas tolerated by the elders.

Contrast this with a jobo that earned big money. He became a corrupt elder despite his df'ing for bonking. He lives in a big house, is still a bully elder. The co's love staying at his mansion when they visit.

Money talks in that cult.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

come to think of it--i did know a wealthy JW family in Portsmouth UK--back in the 80's. they owned a double glazing company with showrooms dotted around. drove Rolls Royces. went bust.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit