When is the last time you saw an educated middle class family become Jehovah's Witnesses?

by xjwsrock 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Aroq
    Aroq

Half Banana, I think I'll adopt that practice

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    In all seriousness, though, have you ever seen an educated middle or upper middle class person or family join this religion? If so, how long ago was that?

Yes. I have. And recently, even though I am away from them for some time now, I have a neighbor family who became JWs. It is a big mistake to think that intelligence and education is what makes a person joins a group like the JWs. It's been a while since I came a cross a post like this.

Remember, as intelligent that a person may be, the only way to get the WT's side of their story is by hearing it from them. Outside research can only go so far, especially when what they are looking for is not to learn something, but to FEEL something.

Most people don't join the JWs because of what they learn, but because of what they feel, or because of how they feel when they are being offered all the crap that they think is good for them.

For some reason people continue to neglect to consider feelings when looking at the reasons for people to join, when that is the larger part of the reality of why they join, than learning doctrine.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

The early eighties a family came in then after about 10 years they realized it was all b.s. and left for good

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

15 years ago

• steve2
    steve2

I realised this many years ago when on an airplane from London to Los Angeles, I was speaking to a successful inventor next to me and I told him that I was a JW. He immediately left the seat and never came back for the rest of the flight!

Oh dear, Half banana! You'd think he would have at least invented an excuse to change his seat.

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

In the early 1970's we had entire normal families come into the troof. By 1977 they all left because they were lied to.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Ha! Steve

btw I know of no normal families becoming JWs in my lifetime. I heard of it happening in the 1970s and earlier.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

XJWSROCK:

I am sure hardly anybody educated from the middle class would come into the JW religion nowadays. If they did they would not stay long - especially if they find they are being targeted to give money!

Years ago there was a different caliber of people in the Witness religion. More responsible for one thing. Alot of them came into the religion after they earned their living and had pensions, etc. These people are dying off and the people who followed them are less affluent and in some cases have more social ills and so on.

HALF BANANA:

You made me laugh about your story of the person on the plane who disappeared when you said you were a Witness. Years ago, I had two interested guys do a disappearing act when I mentioned I was a Witness. Whether it was because they thought I was nuts or because they figured there would be no sex forthcoming, who knows?

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

My area in the 60's and 70's across the board actress, professional athlete,doctor, educator and not one window cleaner...

• stillin
    stillin

Low-hanging fruit. It's easier to pick. These are people who are "sighing and groaning over all of the detestable things" going on in the world in the JW mindset. They want things "fixed" and boy, they will get THAT!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit