Remember when we lodged in private homes at conventions?

by FatFreek 2005 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

That brings back memories from the past.Back in the 60`s I was involved in canvassing householders if they had rooms to let out .

And we actually took advantage of that arrangement ourselves at a convention in the suburb Elizabeth in Adelaide South Australia sometime in the 60`s.

The wife and I and young son were billeted in a child minding centre that had miniature toilets that was a source of amusement.

The wife`s younger teenage sister who we took along with us was billeted in with another JW family and she said the teenage son of this sister tried to "come on" to her .

• waton
    waton

was housed like that in NY city and other places, free. that came closest of actually fulfilling Jesus reminders that one doing favours to his followers would not lose their reward. People that ignored WT teachings put up with a home invasion like that.

Felt funny, when canvassing to be invited in and shown around rather have the door slammed. Thought it was a ploy to actually get a foot in the door, make an impact.

A theocratic pre- Ai BnB arrangement could have made billions had they sustained it.

• zeb
    zeb

An interesting posting.

and while you were all dropped into wherever where were the Gb staying..Hmm?

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

You could count the time when you went on the "rooming work". My ex was a pioneer from southern England and she'd been sent up to Edinburgh, Scotland, several weeks before the convention was due to start so as to join in the rooming work.

• SadElder
    SadElder

The last time I recall doing "rooming work" was for the Washington, D.C. convention in 1968. Beyond that time either my memory or the work has disappeared.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005
    Thought it was a ploy to actually get a foot in the door, make an impact.

My thoughts, exactly.

Why the "rooming work" ceased seems unknown for sure. Probably some legal reasons embedded somewhere, or possibilites of potential violence from either party -- hey, I used to hitchhike wherever I wanted to go before I got my first automobile but I see none of that today.

• blondie
    blondie

SPECIAL NEEDS: Most arrangements to care for those with special needs have customarily originated at the local congregation where such ones attend. Elders and others who are aware of their circumstances have lovingly extended help, which is commendable. This has often involved taking others with them in their own group—those in full-time service, the elderly, infirm or needy ones. Also they have cared for their needs in other ways, such as assisting them in making arrangements or even aiding them financially, if possible and where needed. (Jas. 2:15-17; 1 John 3:18) We are confident that such loving concern will continue to be shown. (John 13:35) However, the convention rooming department will function to provide rooming accommodations for those with special needs who can neither be cared for by themselves nor by those in the congregation where they attend. Such ones may ask the convention coordinator in their congregation for a Special Needs Room Request Form, discussing their situation with him at this time. Those with special needs are the only ones that should use this form. They should fill it out and return it to the convention coordinator to be checked for completeness, accuracy and verification of circumstances. Even though he forwards it to the convention rooming department, the individual(s) will be notified of their accommodations directly by the rooming department. Both private homes and hotel/motel accommodations will be used in caring for those with special needs, according to their circumstances. Please keep in mind that private home accommodations listed by the convention are usually set aside for those with limited funds who would experience real hardship if such accommodations were not made available. They are not intended for those who want free or inexpensive rooms just to save money, such as for a vacation, and so forth. Also, private home accommodationsare for the convention period only.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

As usual, Good research, Blondie.

That quote is one of three identical ones, the last instance being from 37 years ago.

Please keep in mind that private home accommodations are usually set aside for those with limited funds who would experience real hardship if such accommodations were not made available. Kingdom Ministry, 1982 p. 4

• blondie
    blondie

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/201980046?q=rooming+private&p=par

NEW ROOMING ARRANGEMENT

2 Finding rooming accommodations for the thousands of individuals attending a district convention has always been a major undertaking. Faithful rooming workers have been willing to offer their services year after year in behalf of those attending. Many of us remember weeks of door-to-door canvassing for rooms in preparation for larger conventions in the past when many of our brothers were accommodated in this way. However, changing times and habits of those attending conventions have reduced the number staying in private homes in recent years to the point where most can be cared for by local Witnesses. Most now prefer to stay in hotels or motels. While convention rooming departments have been happy to assist by placing brothers in private homes or in hotels and motels, in some instances at reduced rates, a growing number of our brothers have chosen to make their own arrangements directly. This has been either out of a desire to be helpful or to have a greater selection. Those doing so, however, often paid the “rack” or highest rate while those obtaining rooms through the rooming.

3 In order to assist everyone needing accommodations and simplify the overall rooming operation, the Society has decided to take a new approach to rooming this year for those attending the “Divine Love” District Conventions. Under the new arrangement it will be easier for you to make your own arrangements directly with the hotel/motel and yet enable everyone to share in the benefits, including lower rates, that often come from a single organization using a large number of rooms in a facility. In order for you to understand the arrangement so as to cooperate fully with it, the following information should be helpful.—Rom. 8:28.

CHANGEOVER TO SPECIAL NEEDS ACCOMMODATIONS ONLY IN PRIVATE ROOMS HANDLED IN THE CONGREGATION FIRST RATHER THAN CONVENTION ROOMING

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/201980046?q=%22special+needs%22+accommodations&p=par

SPECIAL NEEDS: Most arrangements to care for those with special needs have customarily originated at the local congregation where such ones attend. Elders and others who are aware of their circumstances have lovingly extended help, which is commendable. This has often involved taking others with them in their own group—those in full-time service, the elderly, infirm or needy ones. Also they have cared for their needs in other ways, such as assisting them in making arrangements or even aiding them financially, if possible and where needed. (Jas. 2:15-17; 1 John 3:18) We are confident that such loving concern will continue to be shown. (John 13:35) However, the convention rooming department will function to provide rooming accommodations for those with special needs who can neither be cared for by themselves nor by those in the congregation where they attend. Such ones may ask the convention coordinator in their congregation for a Special Needs Room Request Form, discussing their situation with him at this time. Those with special needs are the only ones that should use this form. They should fill it out and return it to the convention coordinator to be checked for completeness, accuracy and verification of circumstances. Even though he forwards it to the convention rooming department, the individual(s) will be notified of their accommodations directly by the rooming department. Both private homes and hotel/motel accommodations will be used in caring for those with special needs, according to their circumstances. Please keep in mind that private home accommodations listed by the convention are usually set aside for those with limited funds who would experience real hardship if such accommodations were not made available. They are not intended for those who want free or inexpensive rooms just to save money, such as for a vacation, and so forth. Also, private home accommodationsare for the convention period only.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/201979044?q=rooming+private&p=par

ROOMING: During April the Society will be sending a supply of Room Request forms to each congregation for obtaining hotel, motel and private home accommodations through the assembly organization.

I seem to missed posting this

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee
    There are a lot more hotels nowadays (at least in the US), and conventions are more likely to be held within driving distance from the JWs own homes, so I think the need for staying in private homes is much less than it used to be. We stayed in private homes many times, the last I can recall would have been about 1982-1983 or so. The last non-JW home we stayed in was in the early 70's. A very different experience, but not a bad one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit