Is remaining ignorant a choice?

by stuckinarut2 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Is remaining ignorant about the society a choice?

Surely every witness has a moment in time when "something just doesn't seem right"? Perhaps a teaching, doctrine, an article, a talk, a news report about child abuse handling, or a jwdubdotorg broadcast, a video, a cartoon for the kids....you know....?

So, do we choose to remain ignorant. Do we choose to just say "oh it must be ok because the GB are always correct"?

Or in this day and age of easily accessible facts to research, do we allow themselves to dig a little deeper AS THE BIBLE ITSELF ENCOURAGES all to do.? After all, the very nature of our lives are dependent on facts.

Facts do not cease to exist just because they are ignored....

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

It applies to many situations such as people living in fascist regimes, like in North Korea, the facts are the facts but ignorance will keep you alive.

i have always said for me, it is a decision of TRUTH v's COMFORT

I have pondered this for 15 years now and I have found only one reason to justify the ignorance and defend the comfort that I can't argue with. If you were in a river and sure to drown, you look and see a branch, it's the only one currently and only one evidently around, you look and see it is rotten and of no substance, it WILL break when you grab hold of it.....

Will you grab hold of it anyway?......

Tough question to answer as an atheist....and as a human.

• zeb
    zeb

Most definitely yes...

There was a horrendous murder in Australia years ago. The mother of one of the offenders refused to accept that her mongrel son had any part in it. He hanged himself in prison she died refusing to hear ill of her rapist murdering son.

Some get such a mind set they will not hear what they do not want to hear. It is a form of pride to admit that they have been wrong.. and the scriptures and other religions speak firmly against such haughty pride.

• a watcher
    a watcher

stuck, the society is not the important thing. It's just the means to an end.

The important thing is a personal relationship with Jehovah and Jesus.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I realized that, no maater what, I would have woke up with a WTF moment. If I had not left already, "overlapping generation" certainly would have caused me to get up during the study of it, walk away, and laugh on the way out.

If I am confronted by JW's, I may still just keep saying "overlapping generation" in a laughing tone.

But not all the ones who are heavily invested will wake up no matter the crap they sell. Younger ones are using google and modern common knowledge from the internet to get away, so it will continue to shrink.

• Chook
    Chook

You are either ignorant or you know, once you know you no longer remain ignorant. Once you know you can ignore the facts but that doesn't make you ignorant. So to answer the above question , one can ignore the facts but once someone becomes aware of facts they are no longer ignorant and it is only then that a choice takes place.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Sorry 'a watcher', but the society says in no uncertain terms that the ONLY way to have that 'relationship with Jehovah and Jesus" is to be part of their 'earthly organization'.

The organisation 'speaks for god' so we have always been told!

So have 'Jehovah and jesus' been getting things wrong?

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Is remaining ignorant about the society a choice?

Surely every witness has a moment in time when "something just doesn't seem right"? Perhaps a teaching, doctrine, an article, a talk, a news report about child abuse handling, or a jwdubdotorg broadcast, a video, a cartoon for the kids....you know....?

So, do we choose to remain ignorant. Do we choose to just say "oh it must be ok because the GB are always correct"?

Or in this day and age of easily accessible facts to research, do we allow themselves to dig a little deeper AS THE BIBLE ITSELF ENCOURAGES all to do.? After all, the very nature of our lives are dependent on facts.

Facts do not cease to exist just because they are ignored....

In my opinion, yes, it is a choice to remain ignorant. Is that the best choice? That's a completely different thing.

That said, when people choose to continue believing the nonsense that they choose to believe (and I certainly can't make this exclusively about the JW believes), I think that remaining ignorant is a secondary effect. In their brainwashed minds what they are choosing is "eternal life" or "the right side" or "the right presidential candidate"; it never is "I choose not to learn anything other than what ___ tells me".

The remaining ignorant and refusing to face facts is a side effect of brainwashing.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I think it is a "choice" not to remain ignorant to TTATT. What rational person could really accept this overlapping Gen shit?? Just makes no sense. It is so obviously a bandaid for the fact that all those who were to live forever into the New World (the 1914 generation) are ALL DEAD.

No one is that stupid at to not see that it is all smoke and mirrors now. It's Unbelievable!!!!..............Doc

• dubstepped
    dubstepped
    I don't think it's a conscious choice, but more a byproduct of conditioning. Fear, obligation, and guilt are used to get the emotions to override the intellect. The choice isn't to remain ignorant, but rather to "be loyal" or "avoid apostate lies" or whatever. Ignorance may end up being a result of those choices by default, but it's not the known intent on their part. I think what they lack most of all is the emotional toolset to overcome the cognitive dissonance.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit