An inguinal hernia.

by Fisherman 25 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Giordano
    Giordano

Fisherman: Checking out the hospital is one of the first steps not every hospital is equal nor every Surgeon. You'll want a Surgeon that does these types of procedures all day long.

The following is one of many google sites that deal with Hernia's: http://www.webmd.boots.com/digestive-disorders/keyhole-operations-best-for-hernia-repair

Which method of surgery is best?

The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) has approved both procedures as being safe and working well, but there are pros and cons to each:

• Keyhole surgery is less painful afterwards because the cuts are smaller and there is less muscle damage.
    • Open surgery has fewer risks of complications – in keyhole surgery there is a greater risk the surgeon can accidentally damage the bowel.
    • Keyhole surgery has a faster recovery time in recurrent cases, where a hernia returns, or if it is bilateral repair, with a hernia on either side.

The type of surgery chosen may also be based on the patient's circumstances:

• Open surgery is recommended for people who should not be given a general anaesthetic, such as the elderly and people in poor health.
    • Keyhole surgery is recommended for women, who have a higher chance of another undiagnosed hernia.
    • Keyhole surgery is recommendedfor very active patients with pain as the most dominant symptom.

Keyhole surgery may also be recommended if your surgeon is not sure about the type of hernia you have.

• lurkernomore
    lurkernomore

I had one on each side as a child. I was too young to remember the first as I was only 2 (non mesh repair and under general) and had the second around 9 for which i went under general (mesh repair).

Have had no problems since, but do have some tenderness there atm, as I just underwent a Vasectomy (local) 5 days ago as they scrambled me good on the one side ;)

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    Giordano, many thanks for the valuable info. Very helpful to me to make the right decision.
  • Fisherman
    Fisherman
    Everything considered, is it best to wait and postpone surgery as long as possible or dod it asap? What is the best choice?
  • compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, once again, Fisherman:

• Everything considered, is it best to wait and postpone surgery as long as possible or dod it asap? What is the best choice?

Recalling both my personal experience and my post-repair online research, I suggest that you seek medical advice and follow through. There is the risk of strangulation of the intestine and consequent complications. Truly, there are elective procedures and emergency procedures. I have had both;
      you will know when delay is dangerous.

• BE SAFE!

• CC
      Flag Dislike Like
  • Fisherman
    Fisherman
    Thank you CC!!
  • Giordano
    Giordano

Fisherman I had open heart surgery in 1987 to replace a heart valve.

I called around until I found a hospital in Atlanta..... the consensus was they were doing the best work at that time. I went for it....either that or live in continuous pain for three or four more months and then I was over.

They cracked open my chest ( likened to a controlled car crash). I needed blood........ no problem with that and eight days later I rolled out the door. Today it would be two or three days and hardly any need for blood.

You asked about the caterer. To tell you the truth it was great not having to get up every hour or two to pee......... that and the morphine drip and it became a vacation. The nurse that came in to remove the caterer had a cowboy hat on and cowboy boot's she took hold of the tube ........ yanked it out and with a 'yippy ki yay' snapped it in the air like a bullwhip!

Ok........ I made that last part up. I was a little bit sore but no biggy. No biggy for two weeks come to think about it.

So Fisherman...... relax.......... get fixed up and walk some other guy through the procedure. No Biggy.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    Giordano, I appreciate very much the information you posted for me. It is helpful and reassuring.
  • Fisherman
    Fisherman

I had the surgery. I am home recovering and very appreciative to the kind posters here. I am glad I did it. I chose the spinal anesthesia and very glad I made that choice. The anesthesiologists tried to persuade me to take general but my mind was set. They gave me an IV sedative before the spinal and I felt great.I was able to move my legs a little bit and I am happy with the anesthesia. BY the time the surgery was over I was awake, time passed fast. I recommend spinal (from this anesthesiologists he was great he used 5% lidocaine short acting versus tetracaine). Now I have to wait and see how the repair turns out.I am home now. Oh, I was also concerned about loosing my sex drive even for a moment from the anesthesia andsurgery but even immediatley after surgery I checked and it was still there.

I think that hospitals in the US make more money on GA and that is why they push it.

• cofty
    cofty
    Wishing you a quick recovery Fishy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit