My experience with the people in my hall

by Freeandclear 37 Replies latest jw experiences

• MarkofCane
    MarkofCane

My experience with the people at my hall for the most part has been a pleasant one, except for a couple of Elders who tried to dictate what my intentions and actions should be regarding some personal matters. I can't share the details know but soon.

I've always said the people and friends from the halls are really just in a psychological mental captivity like the rest of us were. I think of the people of North Korea, do the know they are living a nightmare or a dream? Do they know what the world thinks of there leader and situation? I'm sure they have much affection for each other and there are good and caring people there, but does it change the facts. Nothing good comes from being psychologically manipulated, even if in their minds the end justifies the means.

We have the CO visit this week so off I go, I would rather stay home and watch football but no such luck. I will observe in dissent as they try to subjugate my mind. I'm afraid, I'm to far gone. Ha ha

MC

• Alive!
    Alive!

I generally felt the same as you did about those I attended meeting with and knew as a JW and I like you was a bit naive' about people and glossed over what was really going on behind the scenes. In time, I realized that I was projecting my own good will and good intent onto others and the feelings I had about my experiences were based in emotion and how I was seeing things. The lifelong relationships I had with people were really quite one sided.

Once you get serious about the holes you are seeing in the doctrines or want real answers to your questions and speak to anyone about them, you begin to realize that they too have the same questions and these questions scare them. These once lovely people take on a whole new demeanor once you go off the carefully crafted JW script that is dependent on everyone speaking their lines and moving as directed.

This reflects my own experience to the 'T'.

I was brought up in a non witness family, where gossip and speaking badly of others was the ultimate NO NO - so this isn't about me trying sound like a 'goody' - it was simply ingrained into me that judging others, talking behind people's backs etc was not on the agenda, ever.

The worst part was being 'a go to' for people wanting to download - so quickly did a need for a confidential chat turn into malice. Would steer the conversation back to talking in a positive way, but the damage was done - and sometimes in a group situation, I was not in a position to walk away, and I tended to crumple under the powerful personalities who wielded their own brand of authority, the elders wives, the elders themselves...

I was a convert - I can honestly say, over the years the 'poisonous' spirit that is often lurking in those congregated throngs worldwide convinced me that I could not bring anyone 'into the truth' from non JW friends or family - because then the 'game would be up'

Now when you get to that point - you know something is wrong, very wrong.

And it all trickles down from the top of the power pyramid.

Towards the end of my life with JWS, I realised I'd actually started picking up these bad ways, although I wouldn't initiate a gossip session, my shock reaction to hearing the hissing was getting dumbed down... I didn't want it anymore. Was so tired.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

**I've heard at least four JW's (from the platform to teens in the audience) during meeting make the comment, that "we should be ready to do whatever, even it doesn't sound reasonable from a human stand point" and many other members nodding their heads in agreement. It's starting to be a regular tag line.**

That does seem to be the sentiment more and more these days.

• Truthexplorer
    Truthexplorer
    My journey as a jw over the past few decades has been a rollercoaster ride. I have been inn some very unloving congs and some genuinly loving congregations For me, people are people. Its like starting a new job, some people are nice, some ok and some who are unfriendly. I have to say though, the elders can impact on the rest of the congregation either in a negative way or in a positive way. I have experienced a lack of love by elders in some halls. yet other halls where the elders genuinly cared for all. BUT I have also seen people beginning to show signs of shunning if you start to step out of line. The dont rock the boat types.....or else!!!!!!!
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

**BUT I have also seen people beginning to show signs of shunning**

By missing a few meetings a month, you can see signs of shunning.

• sissyb
    sissyb
    I went to the same hall as Freeandclear and I can confirm that it was filled with caring, loving people. There was one elder in the bunch I detested, and a few others I didn't care for, but most of the folks I remember fondly.
  • TheListener
    TheListener

I was raised in a multi-generational witness family and most witnesses I knew were friendly and kind. I think the difference could be that most congregations/circuits have cliques and if you are in the clique you are ok and if you are out of the clique it can be hell. Like an earlier poster said if they smell blood in the water it's all over.

Friendly or unfriendly people don't make the organization any more accurate in their teachings though - it's still a cult.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

KiddingMe - "I've heard at least four JW's (from the platform to teens in the audience) during meeting make the comment, that 'we should be ready to do whatever, even it doesn't sound reasonable from a human stand point' and many other members nodding their heads in agreement. It's starting to be a regular tag line."

Well, the Org's been saying it often enough, lately.

Bound to sink in, eventually.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit