Missed opportunity of Jehovah’s Witnesses

by Abraham1 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Abraham1
    Abraham1

As the time passes by, meaning becomes clearer and clearer: "global warming could push the Antarctic ice sheet past a tipping point in as little as 10 years."

• Simon
    Simon

How is that possible? The climate people told us over 20 years ago that there would be no ice within 10 years, ... so what exactly is going to melt?

Apart from their credibility.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut
    Jesus had foretold that people of "Last Days" would “faint out of fear” because of things such as “sea-level rise’ as part of “signs of Last Days” in Luke 21:25.

He (if he even existed) was talking about Jerusalem.

16 And ye shall be betrayed both by parents, and brethren, and kinsfolks, and friends; and some of you shall they cause to be put to death.

18 But there shall not an hair of your head perish. *** seems like a contradiction of verse 16 to me***

20 And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.

21 Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.

24 And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.

25 And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring; ****what signs have we seen in the sun, moon and stars?***

Seems to me, this another case of self appointed religious zealots taking scriptures out of context and applying them to modern days using imagined symbolism without any way of proving their claims, then implanting their ideas into scared small minded people who need to be told what to think and who are willing to believe anything so long as it makes them feel safer.

I graduated from high school in 1975 and I remember 2 years previously sitting in Biology class hearing the dire warnings of Jaques Cousteau and other noteworthy scientist who said that because of pollution, there would be no life left in the ocean by the year 2000. I remember being quite distressed by this but then thinking smugly to my fully indoctrinated JW self "there's no need to worry about the environment, this system of things will be gone long before the year 2000. I'm not even supposed to graduate from high school "

Here we are 46 years later and I did graduate, had a career, raised a family, have grandchildren, retired two years ago and the ocean still has life in it. Even so, we still have bible thumping "new-comers" who don't realize that all of the agonizing and falsely interpreting the Bible has been going on long before they were born and will be going on long afterward. I fell for it way back then because I didn't have the fullness of time to look back on and to make comparisons . I do now and that's one of the many good things about getting older.

When it comes to religion and the Bible, my advice to Abraham1 is not to take it all too seriously.
  • Abraham1
  • Abraham1
  • Abraham1
    Abraham1

Climate Emergency came too early that many people are yet to make up their mind to accept it as a reality. (https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/dec/02/weatherwatch-why-do-some-still-think-climate-change-isnt-real)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit