Missed opportunity of Jehovah’s Witnesses

by Abraham1 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Abraham1
    Abraham1

Jesus had foretold that people of "Last Days" would “faint out of fear” because of things such as “sea-level rise’ as part of “signs of Last Days” in Luke 21:25. Bible Translators—including New World Translation of Jehovah’s Witnesses—missed the real meaning as they translated it as “roaring of the sea and its agitation.” (https://www.jw.org/en/library/bible/nwt/books/luke/21/)

More careful Translations such as NIV put it: “roaring and tossing of the sea.” (https://biblehub.com/luke/21-25.htm) Word for “tossing” is σάλου (salou), from saino; i.e., billow,” (swell outwards). Thus underlying thought is like balloon swelling, or water flowing outwards, as though ready to roll over, thus points to the modern terminology “sea-level rise.” Biblos Interlinear Translation (INT:) translates it as “of [the] sea and rolling surge.” “Rolling Sea.” (A Greek Lexicon to the New Testament, Edward ROBINSON (D.D., page 416) (A Greek Lexicon to the New Testament on the basis of Dr. Robinson ... by C. Robson).

Jesus’ original use of the wording “tossing of the sea” is another way of saying “sea-level would rise” as a result of pollution of air. (Revelation 11:18)

• hoser
    hoser

I would have to agree with you on this one. Fear of climate change sells.

The watchtower should look at trying to recruit climate change fanatics. They would be a good fit in the religion.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Risking not taking my own advice. The WT is full on board with climate change, same as earthquakes, you know, ruining the earth.

Didnt jesus say men would be weenies?

• hoser
    hoser

I might retract my earlier statement. Climate change nut jobs would never drive around aimlessly in field serve us each and every Saturday morning.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Yeah that's not at all a stretch.

That being said, JWs would eat it up.

• Abraham1
    Abraham1

Not a stretching of meaning.

The same word is used in the sense of being "shaken, unsettled" as happens during persecution. (https://biblehub.com/1_thessalonians/3-3.htm)

That means sea-level rise was actually predicted, and was also being fulfilled in a monstrous way in our time. But "faithful and discreet slave" failed to discern it and thus to make use of it for their credit.

If they had done this well in advance, they would have been even more famous than that of 1914 teaching.

Now, there is no charm.

• waton
    waton

The reason I became a jw 1957: Rev 11:18. " time has come to destroy those destroying the Earth " NIV in ww2, jws were facing death rather than bear arms, raise furry animals, dig tank trenches, which would have supported the war mongers that destroyed millions. now:

wt was among the greatest devastators in deforestation for pulp & paper production, Now it is others, the flyer industry, excessive plastic packaging, wasteful energy use. --so, like

Bezos also said : " only a few humans will be allowed to stay on earth."

if wt inc embraced environmentalism, it would be the first time they did something useful.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Wait a minute, I'm missing something. Wouldn't Jehovah know about climate change and tell the GB to tell the rest of us it was coming?

• Abraham1
    Abraham1

JeffT3

That's exactly the point. When it was already there in the Bible, JWs missed it, that too the Greatest prophecy of all times.

• waton
    waton
    ready to roll over, thus points to the modern terminology “sea-level rise.” Biblos Interlinear Translation (INT:) translates it as “of [the] sea and rolling surge.” “Rolling Sea.” (A Greek Lexicon to the New

A: The word "rolling" actually accurately describes a wave travelling through the surface of the water. It roars only when it collapses and breaks, then foams. Further out, waves are actually eerily quiet. Surfing there a serene experience. So,

The tsunamis are perhaps the most fear inspiring phenomena of the kind, Sealevel heightening will bring all waves closer. Some Oceanfront properties not the best investment. The wt move from Brooklyn to Warwick up NY state perhaps an over reaction. . No more early morning surfing for bethelites.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit