Is this the most awkward and forced kiss in cinema?

by LoveUniHateExams 14 Replies latest social entertainment

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

including the inconsistent moral of STOPPING someone from sacrificing themselves to save many - XD yes, that stuck out to me, too.

And not only was Luke allowed to do it, so was Laura Dern's purple haired character, Admiral Strap On. She made a go to lightspeed suicide run, allah akbar-ing her way through the First Order's star destroyers. She's having the time of her life right now with 72 virgins.

Rose: "we won't win by fighting, we'll win by saving those we love" ... while, in the background, the door to the rebel base gets blown up, putting the resistance in imminent mortal danger! XD

To paraphrase Rick Gervais: Rian Johnson, you're a moron with a perfectly round little head like a f**king orange. XD

• Simon
    Simon
    And not only was Luke allowed to do it, so was Laura Dern's purple haired character

Which begs the question, why didn't they do this to the original Death Star? You don't even need a person ... just stick a dumb droid to the controls.

It was a lazy plot tool that undermined the entire series.

Never mind the crazy that is killing off characters that have living actors and keeping the ones who's actors have died. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Rogue One was the best recent movie.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

It was a lazy plot tool that undermined the entire series - it was, and it wasn't the only one.

In addition to Super Leia doing a Mary Poppins impersonation, there was also force-ghost Yoda using lightening to set fire to the tree that contained the Jedi texts.

Hell, if force-ghosts could interfere with the material world, Kenobi's ghost could have helped Luke fight Vader in Cloud City.

But the lore makes it clear that they can't do that because in The Empire Strikes Back, Kenobi says that if Luke rushes off to face Vader, he must do so alone because he (Kenobi) can't interfere.

Disrespecting established lore has pissed off loads of fans.

I don't consider myself a fan of the franchise - I'm an original trilogy fan. If people like The Last Jedi then fair enough. But compare how different it is to A New Hope, the original film. ANH was George Lucas's baby, a project he felt passionate about and worked hard to make. TLJ is a corporate cash grab.

Rogue One was the best recent movie - yeah, I think I agree with this. The film has its flaws but I admire its boldness in trying to be more like a serious war film.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Yes Rogue One is definitely my favorite of the Disney era, stands apart from the others. I'd say I like it just as much as the original films.

Edit: And by original films I mean 1-6. 😁

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

And just to go back to Finn and Rose's kiss, it just seemed so contrived, so forced. If the two had chemistry building up throughout the film, it would have felt natural.

It begs the question: why did round head Rian shoe-horn it in the film?

He seems to think that subverting audience's expectations is automatically part of great film making, so that could be the reason.

Or perhaps it's in the film because it's an interracial kiss between to ethnic minority people - yayy!.

Jew-Jew Abrams said that he aimed to make the cast as diverse as possible (not necessarily a bad thing) for The Force Awakens, so the interracial aspect should be considered, I think.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit