The Heresy of Neutrality

by Perry 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Perry
    Perry

The ONE thing that keeps JW's worshiping the Watchtower Corporations more than (or as much as) anything else is the issue of neutrality. Neutrality is such a benign sounding word isn't it? It even sounds religious. It certainly has an aire of high sounding morality to it does it not? It makes one feel superior to others that are not neutral does it not?

The only problem with this doctrine is that IT IS NOT IN THE BIBLE, NOR WAS IT TAUGHT BY JESUS OR THE EARLY DISCIPLES!

1. The first non-Jewish convert recorded in the bible is Cornelius, an active duty Roman army officer. No where is he told to lay down his weapons, quit his job, and become neutral before he accepted Christ as his personal savior!

2. The watchtower is fond of quoting Jesus when he told Pilot, “My kingdom is no part of this world. If my kingdom were part of this world, my attendants would have fought that I should not be delivered up to the Jews. But, as it is, my kingdom is not from this source.” (John 18:36). BUT, they rarely if ever quote Jesus when he said, "But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." - Luke 22:36

3. Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. 2Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation. 3For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same: 4For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. 5Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake. 6For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing. 7Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour. - Romans 13:1-7

4. Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme; 14Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers - 1 Peter 2: 13

I once asked a respected elder if he would take up whatever weapons that he had at his disposal to help defend his next door neighbor (who happened to be a widow) if she was being attacked. He said cautiously, "Yes". I then asked him what difference would it make if the neighbor lived a few streets away? Or, in another state, or in another country. He said nothing and just shook his head as if I was trying to trap him.

It was a valid question.

• Clambake
    Clambake

The doctrine of neutrality requires a person to believe that everyone is the moral equal of each other.

American solider =ISIS terrorist, United States=North Korea. It is just asinine

If the bible says love they neighbour and someone is putting your neighbour onto the death trains of Auschwitz, I am not exactly sure working as janitors and babysitters for the SS is as Christian as they think it is.

• Perry
    Perry

WT, April 1, 1992 "This "prophet" was not one man, but was a body of men and women. It was the small group of footstep followers of Jesus Christ

he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." - Luke 22:36

Looks like the Governing Body "prophet" was really not a footstep follower of Jesus. JW's have disobediently refused to follow Jesus command to arm themselves to protect themselves and their neighbors. They are picking and choosing which steps to walk in.

granny with a gun. lets talk about jesus

• Terry
    Terry

The history of Christian attitudes and behavior toward government and military service is as diverse as were the Christians practicing them.

There were no hard and fast rules until St. Augustine came along and concocted a more or less logical treatise on Just War theory for the (Catholic) Church.

With the Church authority making decisions for its members, there was no need for a "personal" conscience until the Protestant Reformation and individual Christians were given an alternate theory: Sola Scriptura. This was the "invention" of personal Christian conscience because the "one" would pray and read his/her Bible and (according to theory) God's Holy Spirit would direct them.
    Catholics had the Pope, Protestants had Holy Spirit (and prayer and Bible) and Jehovah's Witness have . . . the whims of their Governing Body.
    From about 1929 to 1963, the official interpretation of the GB was the diametrical opposite of historical/Biblical reading of Romans 13:1,2.
    Naturally, 34 years of claiming otherwise spoiled JW's into a weird NEUTRALITY which was arbitrary, capricious and robotic.

I was the only young Brother in my local Kingdom Hall to claim that "neutrality" and suffer prison. The irony? This was in 1967! The interpretation being handed to me by my congregation's Elders (Overseer) had been out of date 3 years!

• prologos
    prologos
    Perry: "--The watchtower is fond of quoting Jesus when he told Pilot, I did not know wt taught that the Roman military had an airfarce! thanks for the arguments to come though.
  • OutsiderLookingIn
    OutsiderLookingIn

Great OP. I'd also add that one of the people Jesus healed was a centurion's servant (Matthew 8:5-13). When the centurion "with soldiers under [him]" came to Him, Jesus did not criticize his military involvement. Instead, He commended the man's faith.

I just thought of this-- the one thing JWs aren't neutral about is the WTBTS. They're always right, even with their chameleon doctrines, harmful policies and distortion of Scripture; everyone else is wrong. Perhaps it's why they remain trapped?

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    Yes. They are totally not neutral when it comes to harmful doctrines and practises when it comes to life and death matters resulting in premature death.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Perry - "They are picking and choosing which steps to walk in."

Dude, you're only just figuring this out now???

• shadow
    shadow

How many people can be killed as "collateral damage"? Ok to kill the widow next door? The children next door? 5? 10? 1,000? 100,000?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Neutrality is in a lot of instances morally wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit