Wausau Wisconsin Bans Throwing Of Any SNOWBALL!

by minimus 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

It's a law that should not be necessary. Throwing anything at someone not involved in something is assault, so should already be covered. But if it's necessary to help avoid confusion then who cares - it's not really going to impact anyone's ability to say "hey, do you want to have a snowball fight?" which is how any snowball fight should begin ... otherwise it's assault.

Personally, I go for the "oh, I accidentally held that branch as I walked back and it pinged back, so now a tree-full of snow dropped on your head" trick which 1) doesn't involve bending over 2) doesn't make your hands cold and 3) dumps way more snow on someone that you could ever throw in hours of shovelling.

As long as no one starts passing laws against that then it's OK.

• jws
    jws

smiddy3 wrote:

Whats the stats from people being admitted to hospital after being hit by a snowball ?

My guess is you don't live in a cold climate. I've seen people bloody before after being hit with a snowball. I don't think it's impossible that people had to go to a hospital. It's been a LONG time, but I remember stories about people being seriously hurt. But like I say, it's a bit too long ago to verify. But iceballs are a real danger and I personally recall people either bloody or hurting enough that they had to leave.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

jws

Your right ,I don`t live in a cold enough climate where snow falls ,and I have probably been watching too many xmas videos where its all fun and games throwing snowballs at each other .

On the other hand I have lived in a warm climate where hailstones as big as your fist can come down in summer

so I can imagine snow turning to ice and using that could be a problem.

your point is well taken .

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

What worries me about all this (if it isn't fake news, sorry I have not researched, just commenting on the post), is not the 'percieved' dangers involved in snowballs but the totalitarian tip toe into a fascistic world.

Could it be that slowly, bit by bit, our freedoms to think, speak and act are being taken away?

Viva la 1984.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Two snowball stories.

In the fall of 1969 I was involved in a massive snowball fight at Washington State University, fought between fraternity members and non-fraternity members. Several hundred people were involved, five went to the hospital (I believe all recovered OK) and two or three thousand dollars worth of windows were broken.

I'm not sure of the date, probably in 1940 it snowed on the University of Texas, and of course a snowball fight broke out. A young woman threw a snowball at a guy that had attracted her attention. Unfortunately she missed him and hit the guy next to him. That man fired back and one thing led to another, they married two years later. I owe my existence to my mother's inability to throw a snowball and hit her intended target.

• HB
    HB

I understand the points made by those advocating the banning of snowball fights on the grounds of potential risk to health and safety, but if society takes that route, by the same token, we should ban many other activities.....

Swimming in the sea is highly dangerous, you might get stung by a jelly fish or caught in a rip tide, playing rugby or cricket is dangerous, you might get tackled and injured or hit by a ball, climbing mountains is risky, you might fall and break a leg and need to be airlifted to safety, going for a walk in the countryside you risk tripping on a tree root or being stung by a wasp. We’d have to ban all sports, and even ban embroidery in case people pricked their finger on a needle.

Before that, we would need to ban driving cars and motorbikes which are far more dangerous than most sports and pastimes, Whatever you do, don’t get into a relationship with anyone, far too risky for your emotional well being,

If we took this attitude to its logical conclusion, and banned every fun activity that poses a risk, we would all end up staying indoors wrapped in cotton wool and just watching animated adventure films for entertainment, (thereby risking our health because of lack of exercise).

Of course, there are certain activities that pose too high a risk which should be banned, and others which need to be regulated or for which formal training and qualifications and safety equipment should be required, but if we eliminate all risks, life would not be worth living.

We teach children the rules to follow when playing in the sea or riding a bike or playing football; the same should apply to snowball fights. Teach children how to check the consistency of the snow, not to play where the ground is stony, or near buildings and vehicles, and not to throw at someone unless they are a willing participant in a game. Wear sensible clothes and a hat, don't aim for the head and have a reasonable distance between teams.

In other words, have fun but minimise the risks.

• minimus
    minimus

Big Brother is watching you.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

What is next, banning all fun because someone might get hurt? How many people get hurt on trampolines--just a few, but that is enough for them to squeak about banning them for everyone. They can get hurt on swings, so should we ban those as well? You can get hurt falling off a bicycle, so should we ban those too? (Hint: People often fall off bicycles while learning to ride them.) Should we also ban running, since people can and do trip and fall while running and sometimes get hurt? Or walking--I am sure more than one person has tripped or slipped and fallen while walking, and wound up in the hospital.

There are safety rules when throwing snowballs--and "ice balls" is not snowballs. Putting hard objects in a snowball means you are throwing more than a snowball--you are also throwing that hard object. At this rate, we are going to have living banned, except for reptilians, because it is too dangerous for the reptilians that are going to inhabit this planet as soon as the bible has done its job.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Snowball fights are nearly as dangerous as playing conkers and lots of schools here in the UK ban those.

George

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

You should see the way some people play musical chairs, looks like rugby to me. Should rugby be banned?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit