Joseph and his generation

by maninthemiddle 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Room 215
    Room 215

So Splane, the current WT pseudointellectual, ties himself into knots trying to defend the indefensible.

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

Splane's lession was like a fairy tale hour + interpretation of the fairy tale using the "whole picture method" to get to the ethics of the different chapers. :pray:

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

scratchme said why this piece of information in particular

Of the many type of discrepancies, this one was said by the same person. The generation was a big deal for me back when it first came out, (when was that 2010?), this subject is not new for me, but I take interest in how they keep trying to push it.

Prologs, since he didn't connect those dots, (generation was not the topic) I don't think that was the agenda this time, I think it was a moment of clarity, because it is accurate (according to the bible) that his brothers were close in age. It's that he doesn't realize what it means for something he was saying himself in front of the camera not even a year ago that make it interesting.

Thanks.

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

Am I missing something here that they could contradict themselves so easily?

It's worse than that - they contradict the Bible!

Genesis 50: 22-26

22 And Joseph continued to dwell in Egypt, he and the household of his father, and Joseph lived for 110 years. 23 Joseph saw the third generation of E′phra·im’s sons, also the sons of Ma′chir, Ma·nas′seh’s son. They were born upon Joseph’s knees. 24 At length Joseph said to his brothers: “I am dying, but God will without fail turn his attention to you, and he will certainly bring you up out of this land to the land about which he swore to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob.” 25 So Joseph made the sons of Israel swear, saying: “God will without fail turn his attention to you. You must take my bones up out of here.”26 And Joseph died at the age of 110, and they had him embalmed, and he was put in a coffin in Egypt.

Problems to flag to JWs:

1 – Joseph lived for 110 years, much longer than people live today so not a great example.

2 – Joseph lived to see the third generation of Ephraim’s sons (Ephraim was Joseph’s son so that’s 4 generations in total!)

So their use of Joseph collapses by using the Bible.

Not great huh?

• prologos
    prologos
    ws: "So their use of Joseph collapses by using the Bible

not just on the generation thing. Joseph was the quintessential whistleblower, and wt hates whistleblowers, some of them here. but exposer's work should prosper, like Joseph's, even in antitypical Egypt, the e-world. , because we are telling it like it is,

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

This is the transcript of Splane's explanation of Exodus 1:6 from the September 2015 broadcast.

Around 2:50 in September 2015 broadcast.

Now if you were asked by someone to identify a scripture that tells us what a generation is, what scripture would you turn to? I'll give you a moment. Think about that.
    My choice is Exodus 1:6. Let's read that. Exodus 1:6.
    Joseph eventually died, and also all his brothers, and all that generation.
    Now what do we know about Joseph's family? We know that Joseph had 11 brothers, 10 of them were older than Joseph. One of them, Benjamin, was younger. And we know that at least two of Joseph's brothers actually lived longer than Joseph because the bible says that that on his deathbed he called his "brothers", plural, to him.
    Now what did Joseph and his brothers all have in common? They were all contemporaries. They had all lived at the same time. They were part of the same generation.
    Now suppose there was a man who died 10 minutes before Joseph was born. Would he be part of Joseph's generation? No, because he'd never lived at the same time as Joseph. He was not a contemporary of Joseph's. Now suppose there was a little baby who was born 10 minutes after Joseph died. Would the baby be part of Joseph's generation? Again, no, because the baby would not have lived at the same time as Joseph. For the man and the baby to part of Joseph's generation they would have had to have lived at least sometime during Joseph's lifespan.
    So now we've discovered what it means to have a generation, what makes up a generation, it's a group of contemporaries. It's a group of people who have lived at the same time.

As you can see, it's already a very specific and unusual definition of a generation to cover only people that lived at exactly the same time even if the overlap is very small. If you read that scripture and asked someone what a generation was, would anyone interpret that as anyone that was born within a 110 period, even if they then went on to live another 50,60 years?

The point that actually Joseph's brothers were very close in age is consistent with a more typical understanding of a generation as those peers of yours, those around a similar age. I wonder if the WTS has used this scripture with this understanding in the past to attempt to justify previous beliefs where the generation was more like 70 years or so?

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    Now if you were asked by someone to identify a scripture that tells us what a generation is, what scripture would you turn to? I'll give you a moment. Think about that.
    My choice is Exodus 1:6. Let's read that. Exodus 1:6.

The implication in this statement is that there are other scriptures to justify the broadening of a generation. If there were he should probably have use them, because expanding a generation based upon a set of brothers to include multiple generations just does not make sense.

• Londo111
    Londo111

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojCp5tgWXz8&index=7&list=PLyNx0oM_bmgAxVYyFIhblMu4Mo1PeMxn1

With the principle of exegesis, one would let the writer of Matthew define what a generation is. Matthew 1 shows that generations do not overlap.

• prologos
    prologos
    JWlove: "Matthew 1 shows that generations do not overlap.

yet they often do, like grandfathers contently holding their grandsons, living contemporaneously for a while, , but the three generations or two, are never counted as one generation Each new carrier of the genes, the name, is a new generation, like the unique generation, anointed or not, that Jesus was talking to, or about.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit