Joseph and his generation

by maninthemiddle 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

So the WT used Ex 1:6 to define a generation from the very beginning. Then in the This September broadcast the SAME person (Splain) who spent 20 min with charts to explain a generation, makes a point that Joseph and his brothers were very close in age? (min 4:29)

Am I missing something here that they could contradict themselves so easily? I know they do, but this really tops the list for things I've noticed.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Am I missing something here that they could contradict themselves so easily? I know they do, but this really tops the list for things I've noticed.

I find interesting the things that make people notice. Just out of curiosity, why this piece of information in particular, and not many of their other more noticeable discrepancies?

• prologos
    prologos

mitm: " that they could contradict themselves so easily?

If D.S. said that, (can't listen unless someone puts it up here), then they are hedging their bets, If all the brothers were ~ the ~same age, of course benjamin was the youngest, then WT wants to be saying it's near it's now! when they invoke the old and faithful like Br, Franz, who died in 1992 at ~ 100, and his likeness now, it will take us to 2075, in that case they are playing the long card, don't blame us, we told you so.

hedging their bets, like in 1975 buying expensive real estate in Brooklyn cheap, when preaching that the millennium was imminent

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

scratchme said why this piece of information in particular

Of the many type of discrepancies, this one was said by the same person. The generation was a big deal for me back when it first came out, (when was that 2010?), this subject is not new for me, but I take interest in how they keep trying to push it.

Prologs, since he didn't connect those dots, (generation was not the topic) I don't think that was the agenda this time, I think it was a moment of clarity, because it is accurate (according to the bible) that his brothers were close in age. It's that he doesn't realize what it means for something he was saying himself in front of the camera not even a year ago that make it interesting.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

WT wants to be saying it's near it's now!

I suspect that they are concerned about the apathy there is everywhere. Most JWs are NOT living their lives in such a manner as to indicate that they think that THE END is imminent. Instead, they are busy living their lives to the fullest. Marrying. Having children. Vacations. New homes. New cars. Investing in pension plans. Etc

I think this new (overlapping) generation of JWs are not going to make the same mistake that they have witnessed their parents or grandparents make. They are NOT betting it all on WT's prophecies because they have seen too many fail................Still.....they want to keep "one foot in the door" because......just in case the WT/GB gets it right this time.........................DOC

• Sliced
    Sliced
    It's that he doesn't realize what it means for something he was saying himself in front of the camera not even a year ago that make it interesting.

I caught that same line and wondered if he realizes how he is contradicting the overlapping generations argument... Did you also notice how he was just rambling? Nothing made sense! (Not that it ever does) but this one was very peculiar...

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yes!

I saw the same thing and did a double take!

• prologos
    prologos
    DOC: "Still.....they want to keep "one foot in the door" because......just in case the WT/GB gets it right this time........................

For what I see, they do not worry about the end at all, full bore life and enjoy the wt club, except the really old ones. they worry about the future, because if wt writers were wrong about the dates, how likely is it they are wrong about the resurrection too? .

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

RNWT -

(Job 42:16) "After this Job lived for 140 years, and he saw his children and his grandchildren—four generations."

I liked arithmetic at school; 140 divided by 4 = 35!

Also -

(Numbers 32:13) "So Jehovah’s anger blazed against Israel and he made them wander about in the wilderness for 40 years, until all the generation that was doing evil in the eyes of Jehovah came to its end."

It appears that the RNWT indicates a generation to be 35-40 years. On that basis, the WTBTS's "overlapping generation" should have terminated no later than 1980 - at a stretch!

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I thought the new idea was the generation was marked by the event, like the Woodstock generation so ages dont matter so much

l could be wrong but I thought the event was the sign and in the comparison with Joseph the event was his life

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit