Why does Antoine Leiris' powerful tribute to his wife, killed by ISIS in the Paris attacks, bother me so much?

by nicolaou 37 Replies latest social current

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I admire him for knowing that he has a child to raise and that to define his life by what these evil people did would be to give them another victory. Let the government pursue justice

• jhine
    jhine

I don't read M Leiris' statement as advocating pacifism . Just not hatred . If a house has woodworm you exterminate it , but you don't spend the rest of your life hating it . You just do what needs to be done to protect your home .Well the world has woodworm in the form of ISIS so ......

I hope that makes sense .

Jan .

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I think Mr. Lieris is wise. He is NOT going to become the hateful people that killed his beloved. Look what their justification of hate has done to the world they live in? Look at what it is starting to do in other parts of the world? They aren't about ideals, they are about hate, anger, rage. Their so called ideals are the excuse to vent their ugly base emotions and despair upon others.

I am glad Lieris decided to not be as ugly as those people in his mourning.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I feel I have to point this out, but if Mr. Lieris did hate the jihadis that killed his wife, this still wouldn't make him as bad as the jihadis that hated his wife in the first place.

Obviously, if Mr. Lieris' way of dealing with the bad circumstances is not to hate at all, then he is a very strong-minded individual and this needs to be acknowledged, although not necessarily encouraged.

In some circumstances, there's nothing wrong with hate.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    I think that the issue with Mr. Lieris is that by opening himself up to that hate, he opens himself up to that kind of act. Becoming them starts with opening himself to unfettered hate. I don't want to become them, and neither do you. Hating an act will keep me from it. Hating a person might make me capable of that kind of ugliness and terror in response to that hate. I don't want to open myself to that.
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@JWdaughter

Fair points, but there are different kinds of hate, aren't there?

There's hate as an overriding, destabilizing emotion (not good), there's hate that can sit in you gut like a broken bottle (again, not good) - often low-level but chronic. There's obsessive hate (not letting go or moving on) and there's average, 'normal' hate that doesn't last too long, doesn't interfere with one's routine or with perceptions of reality, and could be spoken off as a 'normal' response to exceptional circumstances.

For instance, smoking killed a member of my family. I hate smoking. But I don't think about it all the time, neither am I a danger to people that do smoke, nor would I verbally abuse such people or reach out and knock a cigarette away from their mouth. But, if anyone asked me to buy them a packet of cigarettes, I'd always say no.

• mana11
    mana11

Staggering rape and assault rape statistics from Sweden from 1985-89 and 1997-2001. Rape committed by Swedish born rapists (blue) were 22.4%. Foreign rapists represent 77.6% of all figures divided into ‘normal’ representation (pink, red and orange) at 5,070; over representation (red) at 3,752 rape cases; unregistered migrants (orange) at 653 rape cases. Note that the blue bracket of Swedish rapists include foreign born persons with Swedish citizenship as the statistics are only counted on citizenship, and not nationality.

Total national rape statistics: Swedish born rapists (39%), migrants (38%), migrant children (13%) and unregistered migrants (10%). Immigrants are responsible for 62% of the entire country’s rape crimes.

https://muslimstatistics.wordpress.com/2015/03/19/sweden-77-6-percent-of-all-rapes-in-the-country-committed-by-muslim-males-making-up-2-percent-of-population/

According to figures published by The Swedish National Council for Crime Prevention (Brottsförebyggande rådet; known as Brå) -- an agency under the Ministry of Justice -- 29,000 Swedish women, during 2011, reported that they had been raped (which seems to indicate that less than 25% of the rapes are reported to the police).

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Halfbanana:

The gut political reaction is for reprisals... which M Leiris is not espousing...how can more deaths correct the ignorance of religious criminality?

Righteous violence won't correct the ignorance but it will prevent more deaths if done correctly.

Halfbanana:

Isn't the real answer to work towards the elimination of world poverty and full secular education for all?

Agreed, but how can you do that with ISIS executing the social workers and school teachers? Look at what the Taliban did to Malala, shooting her in the head, because she advocated for girls being educated.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit