The Animal Sentience Bill - what next?

by LoveUniHateExams 24 Replies latest social current

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Vegans obviously support the bill, but it's a million miles away from protecting animals against us eating them - I don't think you're bothering to join the dots.

It doesn't take a genius to work out that Vegans will use this Bill and any resulting legislation to shut down meat farms.

You honestly think Vegans will all pack away their protest placards and go home now that the Bill has been passed?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Joke: Q. How do you know if someone is vegan?

A. Don't worry, they'll tell you.

I eat meat. As far as I'm concerned, if I was in the bush and an animal was hungry, they'd eat me alive. I don't think any of them would say, 'hey, don't eat Punky, he's a vegan!' So, I eat animals.

One of our school trips (this was the '70's after all), was to an abattoir. I do agree that animals should be treated better, but they wouldn't treat me better, so there is that!

I'm kidding.

Back to my steak!!

• PaddyTheBaddy
    PaddyTheBaddy
    I don't think you're bothering to join the dots.
    It doesn't take a genius to work out that Vegans will use this Bill and any resulting legislation to shut down meat farms.
    You honestly think Vegans will all pack away their protest placards and go home now that the Bill has been passed?

I don't think you have understood the scope of the bill. Just because we officially recognise animals can feel pain, doesn't mean we have a legal obligation to do anything about it. Animal rights activists, including vegans, will have a means to help influence government policy in areas which concern animal welfare. This I fully support. Animals need protecting from us. Especially from this guy

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/anti-vegan-protester-eats-decapitated-squirrel-at-vegan-market

I can assure you Boris, just like punkofnice, knows what a burger tastes like. However, unlike punkofnice, the animal sentience bill was part of his election manifesto. This doesn't mean he intends on giving up his burger anytime soon.

Schools Out - Re-Boot Britain

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@Paddy - dude, if you think Vegans won't use this Bill as a springboard in order to try and ultimately shut down meat production, you're one very naive person.

• PaddyTheBaddy
    PaddyTheBaddy
    @Paddy - dude, if you think Vegans won't use this Bill as a springboard in order to try and ultimately shut down meat production, you're one very naive person.

What I'm not naive about is their chances of getting government’s to ban the exploitation of animals, including pig valves for heart surgery.

Vegans, unlike JW's, know governments won't unite together to ban things such as animal suffering or religion. Vegan use a different approach. They try and persuade people individually from consuming animal produce, based upon ethical concerns. It works on some but not on most. Most people, although concerned about animal suffering, are won over by the fact that they just taste so damn good.

Where I support vegans and other animal rights activists is in their attempts to highlight the cruel processes animals are subjected to before they are eventually killed.

You kind of expect underdeveloped countries such as the states to have poor regulations in slaughter houses, but when the land of hope and glory is found wanting, something needs to be done.

This video contains scenes of pigs, sheep and cows literally being tortured and beaten to death. I don't even blame the people doing the torturing as they have become so desensitised to the pain of the animals. Humans need protecting from the darker side of their nature. If vegans can help in some way, then well and good.

https://youtu.be/dvtVkNofcq8

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit