The Animal Sentience Bill - what next?

by LoveUniHateExams 24 Replies latest social current

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

So, in the UK there was recently a Bill which was nodded through Parliament - the Animal Sentience Bill - which was backed by Vegan activists.

Dogs, cats. cows, even lobsters now have been recognised to have feelings.

First of all, let me say that if you want to go Vegan that's fine with me. We're all allowed our individual dietary choices.

But for how much longer? It doesn't take a genius to see where this is heading: Vegans are going to use this Bill to improve livestock welfare. On the surface of it, that sounds good. But whenever Vegans are asked what conditions would be better, they always answer the same thing: none. So, Vegans are going to use this Bill and any resultant legislation to try and close down meat-producing farms.

Yes, Vegans - an unelected minority - will try to force everyone else to conform. And this sounds an awful lot like a new kind of aristocracy.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I am more of a vegetarian (I like eggs & cheese). I also like freedom. I have borrowed this saying - "If it is such a good idea, why does it have to be made mandatory?"

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

even lobsters now have been recognised to have feelings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1uvrnenIY4

• PaddyTheBaddy
    PaddyTheBaddy

Dogs, cats. cows, even lobsters now have been recognised to have feelings.

I'm not vegan or vegetarian. I do recognise that animals bread for slaughter can be subjected to horrific treatment. I think people who campaign for animal rights deserve our support. They certainly won't get everything they want, but their efforts may go a long way to help improve conditions in slaughter houses.

This film contains some of the most horrific scenes of animal cruelty ever recorded. If we are going to eat them we should at least be aware of what they had to go through before they arrived on our plate. The kosher slaughter houses are particularly gruesome.

"If I could make everyone in the world see one film,

I'd make them see EARTHLINGS."

- Peter Singer, author Animal Liberation

EARTHLINGS is a 2005 American documentary film about humankind's total dependence on animals for economic purposes. Presented in five chapters (pets, food, clothing, entertainment and scientific research) the film is narrated by Joaquin Phoenix, featuring music by Moby, and was written, produced and directed by Shaun Monson.

http://www.nationearth.com/

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

Animals do have feelings. But one has to have reasonable lines. Its abhorrent to torture animals. Dog fights, cock fights even Greyhound racing is a brutal sport. But lets take the reducto ad absurdom point of view. Do you have to feel for a red ant hill that you are dumping poison on? Or that Mosquito you swat on your arm? Its up to you but its insane to feel the same way about a mosquito as you would say a puppy. It would turn any normal persons stomach to see some sicko hang a cat by the tail and throw stones at it. Or to toss gas on a dog and light it on fire. One would have to be a very sick and IMO someone who should be just shot if they thought this was cool or entertaining. But the world is full of sick people. I am in favor of standards in the meat industry to make the process as humane and pain free as possible. Personally I have not eaten red meat for 18 years. Its not that I don't love a good steak but red meat is one of the worst things you can eat.

I had many of my family who died with heart blockages due to eating high fat, I.E. Butter, dairy, eggs, red meat. My wife worked at a Dr. office. And she had seen several people who were in need of heart bypass surgery. several of them went on a no fat diet. Really limiting any fat intake. No trans or saturated fats. They said some will always get through but you limit it as much as possible. Most of them after a year of doing this did not need surgery any longer.

I am 60 now and I had my arterys checked by my GP and he said they are very clean and should be good till the end. My wife and I eat a little Chicken White meat only and fish and then its limited. We use it to flavor food dishes not as some do with a heaping plate of meat for dinner.

I used to hunt deer, Bear and Pronghorn even wild boar. But it does not bring me pleasure to kill things. I get much more joy out of watching the deer in my yard. This is not to say I will not dispatch the odd animal that is causing issue. If I have a coon that is attacking my feral cat I take care of, I have a 22 suppressor and in my sub I will end that thing right there. No pleasure taken but I had to pay 180 for surgery for my cat for an abscess he got in a coon fight.

I also have a rule that if it does not have hips it dies if I can kill it. So all snakes will be dispatched in my yard. Copperhead and gardener snake they all die. Sorry but that is the way it is. I also have black widow spiders, and the occasional fiddle back. I spray for them and ants but as stated above, I do not put insects on the level of puppys or cats, or other animals.

Dr. Fauchi that lying idiot, was involved with cutting Beagle puppy's vocal cords to stop them from crying in the insane torture he approved. What a total douch nozzle. https://www.republicworld.com/world-news/us-news/fauci-accused-of-funding-experiments-involving-beagles-being-eaten-alive.html

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

With a somewhat guilty mind, I eat meat but I'm all for improving the lot of animals. We know better now and have the means to treat them well while they are alive and the technology to make their slaughter as dignified and pain free as possible.

Unfortunately this won't be the norm until it is mandated by law. The other day I saw a truck and trailer going down the freeway at 60 mph and it was loaded to the gills with thousands of live chickens who were in open air cages and squashed down, one on top of the other to the point that they couldn't even move. The ones on the outside were being buffeted by the wind. Why is this still going on ?? Because it's the cheapest way to do it and until it's illegal, it will keep happening.

I see people posting their hunting photos on Facebook of their little boys and girls standing on the body of and elk or deer they've just killed. I get it but it somehow it bothers me to see a guy wearing $500 worth of gear, gleefully holding up the head of a dead animal by its horns as if they are mighty hunters, even though they rode to the hunt in a carpeted air conditioned vehicle with a stereo and heated leather seats and found the animal using GPS. From the comments people are making on their posts, it seems this is more about their egos and about having fun rather than feeding their families.

In terms of eating meat, in the days when hunting wasn't done for fun but was a necessity, was hard work and meat was hard to come by, rather than eating a huge slab of it in one sitting, they often used meat as a garnish. If we did the same, we'd probably be healthier and there'd be less animals killed.

It's my understanding that the Native Americans were big on respecting the life of the animals they consumed. I like the idea behind the biblical regulations given to the Israelites, regulating the way they handled the blood of the animals they slaughtered. This process slowed them down and made them stop to remember that that they just took the life of a living thing and it wasn't to be taken lightly.

I saw a documentary on Cambodia last week and it showed an open air market where a woman was squatted down in front of a tub of the huge bull frogs and she was efficiently ripping the skins off them live one by one and throwing them into a tub. They were hundreds of them in there, bloody and crawling all over each other and trying to hop out of the basin.

Humans can become quite calloused and I'd rather live in a country where the welfare of animals is a matter of law. This new law in the UK may not be perfect but maybe it's a move toward improving things for animals.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

If animals are so sentient then why don’t they volunteer to stop killing each other? They should all be going vegan, right??

DD

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut
    If animals are so sentient then why don’t they volunteer to stop killing each other? They should all be going vegan, right?

Hopefully you’re being facetious here but if not, the short answer is because they are not “sentiment” at at the same level as humans. Animals operate on instinct and unlike humans they have no other way of going about feeding themselves. Humans do, and we have the ability to do it “ humanely” ( hence the term). Children are sentiment to a point but we make provisions for them rather than take advantage of their low level of awareness. Those who don’t are considered bullies.

• Simon
    Simon

All words. I don't believe they are serious about anything unless and until they go after Halal meat production.

Oh, what's that? They've gone silent? Of course they have ... can't go upsetting the Muslims now can we.

Anyone in their right mind, whether they eat meat or not, should want animals treated humanely and never have to suffer. But this isn't the way to go about it.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

I've often wondered why some of the most rabid anti-meat, pro animals rights advocates also are pro abortion?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit