I never had a happy birthday this year 5/7

by smiddy3 21 Replies latest jw friends

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

My wife had a hip replacement on June the 17th and while the OP itself was apparently succesful ,she has had a reaction to the anesthetic ? and has suffered Delirium and is still in hospital with no apparent improvement.

Its been very distressing for me to say the least. Sorry if I sound a bit morbid but I just had to share,

Has anybody here experienced this illness before ?

Anybody in the medical profession here ?

• jhine
    jhine

I'm not Smiddy but l am very sorry that this has happened. ❤

Don't her doctors have any ideas on what to do ?

Jan

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Sorry to hear it, Smiddy. Several years ago, my mother had a triple bypass and one of the medications they gave her made her paranoid and quite salty for around 36 hours. She was okay after that, though. I hope your wife recovers soon!

• JWslave77
    JWslave77

I am sorry to hear that. Last year my dad had a heart valve repair and he had a terrible bout of delirium for about 2 weeks. He couldn't even move his limbs for the first 3 days after the anesthesia, but the delirium hung on for much longer. He slowly came out of it and is doing great now. I wish you wife well and a recovery from this.

• Anna Marina
  • Doctor Who
    Doctor Who

Wow, I am so sorry. My dad after his first hip replacement had this happen. It took him over a month to get back to normal. It felt like an eternity to me. He didn't even know or remember who I was for a while. I hope and pray she recovers for you.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Sorry to hear this. I hope the effects will diminish as time goes on.

• titch
    titch

Smiddy3: Correct me if I am wrong on this, But, didn't you have hip replacement surgery sometime last year? I think that you and I had a conversation about our own surgeries, and I must say, that I did not have any reaction to the anesthesia, and you didn't also. So, I don't know, if this is a common happening, or if just happens to a certain percentage of surgery recipients. I do hope that the effects will go away very soon. Best Regards,

Titch.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Thank you all for your responses it has been much appreciated.

titch, yes i had a hip replacement about two years ago now and i was up walking and out of hospital in 4 days .

i thought my wife would have a similar experience. sadly not to be,

And I feel a bit guilty about encouraging her to have the OP.

Anna Marina , Thank you for that link it has been very helpful.

My son and I have a meeting with the Doctor and nurses tomorrow about her prognossis and what options are available to us about her future care, apparently after about 17 years of parkinsons she is now showing signs of dementia also.

Thank you for your concern

smiddy

• surprised2bhere
    surprised2bhere

I do hope that your wife is showing signs of improvement and that the meeting with the doctor was helpful.

I also hope you are taking care of yourself. I expect the hours that you are not with her are full of unease and then not looking after yourself as you would look after your wife. Please try so you can keep your own strength up.

And you have no reason for feeling guilty for encouraging your wife to have the op. By far the.vast majority of hip replacements lead to a big improvement in the quality of life and you had every reason to expect that.

kind regards

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit