Dietary Quirks Among JWs

by millie210 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• millie210
    millie210

See? This is why I love you guys, such great comments from so many perspectives.

I had not thought about the relationship between being high strung and food issues but in my families case I do see somewhat of a correlation.

The religion itself makes my family act so judgmental and they put so much pressure on themselves to maintain their "high standards" that trying to figure out which came first (the being high strung thus food issues OR religion making them high strung = food issues) becomes similar to the puzzle which came first, the chicken or the egg?

• compound complex
    compound complex

Years ago, Lifetime Cookware was the rage. Maybe still?

I have an electric skillet, and is it ever perfect. Was quite expensive. Anyway, one sister who hawked them said Jehovah wants you to use these to cook your food.

Healthy bodies, healthy minds, healthy spirituality?

http://www.lifetimecookware.com/lten/Products/ProductsbyCategory/CookwareSets/StarterSet.htm

• millie210
    millie210

Hi CoCo, I do remember a big thing about aluminum in cookware being bad. I think it was even mentioned in an Awake?

• compound complex
    compound complex

Hi, millie210:

I am old enough that cooking with aluminum still bothers me. -- road to nowhere

I don't have the facts at hand, but I believe you're correct about cooking with aluminum. Teflon is bad, too . . . right???

I personally prefer cast iron or my Lifetime. Yet a friend with an iron overload in her blood can't use cast iron. One man's meat is another's poison.

Good topic.

THANKS!

• Closer to Fine
    Closer to Fine

It's interesting. In my jw side of the family there are both. Some are all organic, no gluten, no dies, no chemicals, no vaccines, no medications, and no doctors (some of them no dr. even during childbirth). They don't avoid these items due to allergies. It's more of a distrust of worldly drs and food companies. Others from the same family love junk food. Lots of soda, sugar, white flour, booze, and lots of meds from doctors. I think for them they truly believe the big A will be here before they die so why not have 6 doughnuts for breakfast?

All that being said, I don't think it's unusual to find this in non jw families as well.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

A good JW friend of my wife and I was in hospital suffering from breast cancer many years ago and the woman patient next to her was saying when she got out of hospital she was only going to eat healthy foods from then on.

Our friend said to her" don`t even bother" as she had been eating nothing but healthy foods all her life didn`t smoke and didn`t drink alcohol .And she still got cancer.

She died too young ,she was a lovely young lady

R.I.P. Anita.

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
  • smiddy3
    smiddy3

A then JW friend of mine when we were witnesses ,got sucked into one of the diet fads that were doing the rounds of JW`s at the time 30 or 40 years ago.

And he wore a T-Shirt that said "Lose weight Ask me How" the thing is he had a big beer gut which used to really crack us up ,it was so comical to see.

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

@smiddy3 Picturing him like this guy:

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

One thing I have notice sense leaving the cult is I am much more healthier now. I loss weight and I am much stronger. I feel one of the big reasons is STRESS. Leaving the cult has eliminated all that stress and without stress our bodies are able to heal. Just another thought on what it takes to live better and what may be going on in the borg. Still Totally ADD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit