Apostasy

by frozen2018 16 Replies latest jw friends

• frozen2018
    frozen2018

Has anyone seen the 2017 movie Apostasy? Set in Britain, the story is about a family, a single mom and her two daughters, who are Jehovah's Witnesses. I'm not going to give away too much of the plot, but holy moly! The movie is about as real as it could possibly be. If you have not seen it, I have to say it is a must watch for any ex-JW. The movie is on Amazon Prime or the cable service Epix. Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7TcFMkShpI

• Earnest
    Earnest

This was reviewed when it was first released here.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I think I Posted on the Thread that Earnest points us to, but, at risk of repeating myself, the Film is accurate and very well produced and acted.

What I enjoyed at the Cinema I attended was the audience reaction to much of the content, the audience laughed out loud at the silly Doctrines, and I heard remarks like "disgusting" when the Shunning process was shown, and the way the Elders handled things.

It really was a good insight for the Public to see the reality of JW life, and what a nasty little cult it is.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

It should be shown on JW.Org but that ain`t gonna happen .

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

It looks amazing--thanks for letting me know about it. Also, I think the mother is the same actress that played the ladies maid on Downtown Abbey. Can't remember her name. Cool.

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

I bought the video on eBay. Its not easy in the states to find it to watch otherwise. Its a good movie. I can see people who are not or never were part of the cult not really getting it but if you were a part or are a part its a good movie. You can pick it up for around 10 bucks give or take from eBay.

• Duncan
    Duncan

I watched it a few weeks ago - it was on Sky.

Unusually for a film about the Witnesses, it was all pretty accurate as far as beliefs, culture, and daily life was concerned. I think I read that the director was ex-JW, brought up in it, so that explains that.

But the overwhelming impression it left on me was the sheer flatness dullness boredom, the horribly colourless nature of day-to-day existence in the religion. Look at the picture at the top of the thread, a still from the movie. Everything is beige. All the sets are beige and pale, all the flats, houses, rooms, and kingdom hall are lit in a kind of shadowless no-contrast flat light. Deliberately so, I would have thought.

Even the acting is understated, quiet and flat. Low energy, low volume conversations throughout. The soundtrack is - far as I remember, still and music-less. everything, every dial is turned down to a low level.

I felt that watching it, it was all very repressed and quietly desperate - and I thought the production was spot-on.

Duncan

• frozen2018
    frozen2018

The movie is so well made, I think a Jehovah's Witness might watch it and actually feel uplifted. The single mother loses both of her daughters, one to death when she trusted in her faith and put Jehovah first and the other lost to the temptations of this wicked world. The mother's faith was being tested and she wavered, but in the end she clung to Jehovah and his earthly organization and went out to spread his message by standing next to a literature cart. If this was shown at a convention it may well receive a standing ovation. Most other people might feel the way I did after watching it. What a sad, bland way to live one's life.

There were a couple of funny parts. My favorite was when Alex's suitor, a young elder, said, "With you working as a gardener and me a window washer, we'll be fine." Dare to dream, you two. Dare to dream.

• Sigfrid Mallozzi
    Sigfrid Mallozzi

I wonder if WTBTS will try to bring the makers of this movie to court to repress it?

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

With a few character changes, this seems to be a loose biography of my life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit