Texas Governor Abbott Wants Bars Closed at Noon Today

by RubaDub 13 Replies latest jw friends

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I don't get it. Yes, he a Republican. But come on.

Am I expected to come in, have a couple of shots, a few beers and leave by noon? What time should I arrive, 9:30AM? Will a couple of hours make that much of a difference?

I would have expected maybe 2PM or 3PM but noon?

I think this COVID-19 thing has everyone messed up.

• Simon
    Simon

Still better than forcing Covid patients into nursing homes.

Sweden appears to be emerging as the model for how to handle this. Everything in the US and many other countries has become too politicized and made things way worse than they needed to be. Everything is an extreme, with no in-between.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Everything is an extreme, with no in-between.

Simon ...

I agree. Over the last 20 years here, that has been the theme in this country.

• sir82
    sir82

Over 41,000 new cases in the USA yesterday - highest ever.

Nearly 6000 new cases in Texas alone yesterday.

Florida has had its 19th consecutive peak in average new cases. New cases Wednesday: 5511. New cases today: 8942.

Meanwhile, at this very moment, the head of the coronavirus taskforce is giving a self-congratulatory speech on C-Span.

• Sigfrid Mallozzi
    Sigfrid Mallozzi

The bars around here in Georgia, South and North Carolina have the bar stools separated by 6+ feet. Two chairs together if you come in together but No to sitting close to a stranger. I've thought about going but I can sit at home and drink by myself pick my guitar and piano, watch a movie, etc and not have to worry about getting sick. A friend of mine contracted Covid-19 and she said that she was glad she wasn't any older, the first week was hell. I've been out for dinner a few times and there are some jerks that just don't know how to stay arm lengths away from you let alone 6 feet away. Coughing, choking spewing their breath everywhere, if they cover their mouth with their hand then the hand goes to touch the bar without being cleaned and laugh about it. Forget that.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Here in Victoria Australia clubs and bars have been open since last Monday 6 days ago , and while I have been in the habit these past few years spending a couple of hours catching up with friends everyday for a couple of hours chewing the fat / solving the worlds problems and a lot of bullshit being dished out and having my 2 schooners ,i have held back from taking advantage of the restrictions being lifted and will probably wait another week or so before I decide whether or not to resume the practice.

I think its better to be safe than sorry.Besides i have my 78 Y.O. wife to consider .

• LV101
    LV101

I'll not be the crepe hanger here - death rates are trending down - way downwards like 90% daily deaths (level of death we haven't seen since March!) but we don't hear much about it or weren't 5 days ago. The younger ones are getting it now - under age 35 - which is not good but, hopefully, the governors learned re/elderly/vulnerable from negligent bozo Cuomo/NY and others.

Hopefully - it's herd immunity starting to develop and thousands of young/curious people getting tested and it's a good sign and death rates dropping. Some experts indicate this is what happens when a viral pandemic WINDS DOWN. The more weakened version of the VIRUS becomes the dominant version - it attenuates. Excluding NY, nursing home deaths are at least 55% and most likely much more -- NY still won't reveal an honest number skating around only listing deaths in the actual nursing homes but most NH deaths are in hospital as they're sent there (for brief time unless they die before returned to NH) - quite a mess.

Who knows if, in fact, the virus has weakened but hope so. The younger ones have stronger immune systems and few end up in ICU/intubated, etc., compared to older people. Also the outbreaks in southwest/west pose huge risk to those over age 35/40.

• millie210
    millie210

Those are all good points LV101.

The fact that it is July.

The fact that we are all 4 months in on this

The fact that it has become so politicized,

have all contributed to information burnout.

If you look at the numbers of people on information platforms watching coverage (speeches) on the virus the numbers have crashed. No one cares anymore.

For better or worse the truth is people are tired of it all.

Where I live there are almost zero masks in evidence despite a mask ordinance being in place.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless
    Here in Victoria Australia clubs and bars have been open since last Monday 6 days ago...

Hi Smiddy, I wonder if they will close them again soon, given the current upswing in cases there.

(For those outside Australia, cv-19 seems to have been eliminated from Australia, except in Victoria.)

Here in WA, they have just allowed dancing in clubs, provided anyone dancing maintains a 1.5m distance from anyone else. I haven’t seen it, but I can’t help wondering if they put little “x” marks in grid on the dance floor, like they do in grocery stores and department stores.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The whole thing is a crock. We have far worse diseases to worry about, yet those never result in closing everything down. Did they close everything down or enforce face masks and "social(??)" distancing, with vaccinations enforced with RFID chips, for tuberculosis? Go into New York City, and you are more likely to come out with tuberculosis than anything else--yet that never resulted in locking everyone down or keeping everyone apart.

And, if I had to pick which illness between coronavirus or tuberculosis to catch, I would rather by a long shot coronavirus. That is actually easier to cure, if we didn't have these regulatory agencies keeping the truth out. Every time something works, they find something to get it banned. Hydroxychloroquine? Too dangerous--even though it was used for malaria for more than 60 years. (And it works, if taken with zinc.) Quercetin? No good--again, taking this natural bioflavonoid will cost the drug companies billions and ruin the narrative that only a vaccine, enforced with microchipping, is good enough.

Try that with tuberculosis.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit