Butchered pronunciation

by road to nowhere 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

ZACHIAS & FFGHOST:

Yes, it is sad the JWs are generally an uneducated bunch with some being painfully so! If a brother is rather uneducated and has an upcoming talk, he should make a point of researching the ten dollar words with regard to their pronunciation so he doesn’t sound like a dope.

I remember more than one instance of some uneducated guy mispronouncing a word..and other fools using the same mispronunciation (either because they were unaware OR they were embarrassed or intimidated into doing likewise)..When I commented, I made SURE I pronounced it the correct way and I did not care what anybody thought.. I certainly was not going to deliberately pronounce something wrong just so some idiot could feel better about himself. That would just be promoting more ignorance!

Nobody ever had the nerve to say anything to me about it.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Longy - Yes, it is sad the JWs are generally an uneducated bunch with some being painfully so!

Agreed. If they're an Elder and they pronounce something badly, everyone follows thinking that they're somehow inspired. Unless it's an Elder the biggest bully on BOE who demeans it.

Circus Servants were the worst because even the biggest bully on the BOE would brown nose to them.

• zachias
    zachias
    Caperneham... argh!
  • Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Some I remember.

One lovely brother, now dead reflecting about the eee=light (elite) he had read about in the WT.

Reading organism as orgasm.

I heard a recording of a convention talk where the bro used octopus features in an illustration. He repeatedly said "testicles" instead of "tentacles". After a few examples you could hear the penny drop. He had to decide whether he should continue his mistake or change to the correct word and admit his blunder.

I think I would have just said "aww bollocks" and moved on.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

There was a 'brother(TM)' that used to say, 'loving kind-a-ness'.

• FFGhost
    FFGhost

Oh this is terrible, you guys are dredging up buried memories....

We had a guy, not very well educated, who at some point discovered that "permeate" is a real word.

He loved that word. Used it any and every chance he got. Jehovah's holy spirit permeates the universe, loves permeates the congregation, Satan's spirit permeates the world, etc. etc. etc.

Except.....somehow he learned the word as "PRE-meate".

And - he loved the word so much, not only would he use it every chance he got, he'd get this goofy grin and tilt his head to the side every time he said it.

Imagine listening to 45 minutes of this:

"And do, just as the spirit of the world PRE-meates (grin-tilt) the world, and Satan's spirit PRE-meates (tilt-grin) worldly people, Jehovah's spirit PRE-meates (tilt-grin) the congregation..."

Can you see why I'm brain-damaged?

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

"Try Worcestershire sauce." - Punk

We've got a Worcester County in Maryland. Pronounced "WOOS ter" using the same vowel sound as the words look and book. *It does not rhyme with rooster!

I think the "R" gets dropped though in Worcestershire. So it would be pronounced "WOOSta sher."

(You could also think of the word "wuss" when used as a mild slur. Eg. - "He was such a wuss that he wouldn't even look my way." That's the same sound in my accent - "WUSS ter.")

How'd I do, Punky?

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

I grew up in a south central Pennsylvania circuit which included Lancaster County (big Amish country) and there were several Lancaster city congregations (north, south, east, west) that brothers from other areas would butcher the pronunciations when referring to.

They would say LAN-CAST-er, but it is actually pronounced LANKA-stir.

Yes, it was a big rural circuit, but come on people. I didn't live in Lancaster County, but I knew how to pronounce it correctly!

• Overrated
    Overrated

That's what you get when education is discouraged! A bunch of delusional people who are dumbasses.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Warwick pronounced War-wick. Every one knows it should be Worrick.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit