Butchered pronunciation

by road to nowhere 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Since it is my turn (wife) to have the assembly streamed they start with the music.

I have never in 70 years heard it called a "pree-lood". Twice, morning and afternoon.

• solomon
    solomon

Ja hovah pisses me off.

It’s Gee Hovah. There ain’t no ahh sound in an e.

Damn Yankees

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

I'm always impressed when people manage to mispronounce "pronunciation" as "proNOUNCiation.'

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Yeah, Gee-HO'-Vuh is the way I hear it.

As far as "butchered pronunciation" what would one expect from the mouths of mostly functionally illiterates who conDAMN any higher education and now are pretty well hone "schooled"?

• Nikolaus
    Nikolaus

I have to admit that I as a non-native speaker thought that "pree-lood" was correct.

Reminds me of a situation in the past, when my father was an Elder and had to speak about the "Kingdom Interlinear Translation" which is only available in English. He spoke no English at all and so he asked me. I told him that it was pronounced "Inter-line-ear". When someone from the congregation pronounced it correctly in a comment he kept on pronouncing it wrong because I told him so. I later found out that I tought him bullshit. It was a bit embarrasing.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

This is not non native speakers though. I will admit to be a bit of a grammar nazi.

You can find pronunciation on computers now, so no reason to not check

• Nikolaus
    Nikolaus
    You can find pronunciation on computers now, so no reason to not check

But you only check when you are unsure - and you can be pretty confident when using a wrong pronunciation. Recently, I heard some pronunciations different from the one I used. I was relieved that I was on the correct side on this one after checking online.

• SadElder
    SadElder

Remember when the WT lessons used to have all those Greek or Hebrew words? It was always a hoot to see how badly they were pronounced by the WT reader at the meeting. Sent a note to the teaching and writing committees when I was working on some special projects at Crooklyn asking that they at least include the phonetic pronunciations in the lesson. Never got a peep of a reply.

• waton
    waton

massage du royaume. kingdom massage. what a mess.

• Sigfrid Mallozzi
    Sigfrid Mallozzi

How about "similar" as "sim-u-lar"? Or "extraordinary", as extra'-ordinary instead of

/ɪkˈstrɔrd(ə)nˌeri/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit