For Minimus, and other old timers who remember H2O and the early days of exJW discussion boards

by Broken Promises 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I'm having a debate with someone on Facebook who claims he came up with the term "Borg" in reference to the WTS back in the mid 2000s.

However I'm certain the term was used on H2O as early as 1999 as well as here when this site was first set up.

Can anyone confirm that I'm not dreaming? What's the earliest you remember seeing the term being used?

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

The term was originally used by Scientologists to describe their HQ. They also had a ship which was known as the Sea-org.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

FWIW this appears to be dated from 16 years ago....

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/3579/drue-who-borg

• minimus
    minimus

There's a few Borg threads here. As I recall, the term was used at H2O because I was never a Star Trek fan and never heard of the Borg til seeing it there.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

minimus I don't claim to be a old timer but I started lurking on this site back in 2007. When I heard the term the Borg used I knew exactly what was being talked about. Thanks to my watching Star Trek next generation. The term Borg fits the WT. Cult to a tee. It help me to reason many things out. To whoever came up with using the term borg to identify the wt. Cult, thank you every much. Still Totally ADD

• Old Navy
    Old Navy

Aye, probably most 'Murkuns became aware of the Borg in the late 80s with the Star Trek Next Generation series. The Borg and the Org shared strikingly similar characteristics.

I didn't know about the Scientologists having Borg also. Very fitting in their case too.

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

I no longer have the 'Data' (ST-TNG pun intended) from H20 but as FD2 (H20 Forum Director 2), I can assure you the Borg, Borganization were terms used back in the day' at least as early as 1998

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

This is one reference I found from 2002. Definitely not "mid- 2000's"

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/33851/hero-role-model

• LV101
    LV101

Ditto what Minimus has said -- I know I heard it on H20 about 1998-1999 because I was unfamiliar with the term -- had never heard it before and remember talking to someone (an inactive JW) at the mall and called it the "Borg" and she started laughing and said that's what she always called it. I was shocked. I don't know what "always" meant but I'll ask her.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Thanks for your replies. The person I was talking with was adamant that he was the one to come up with the term but was unwilling to do any research himself. The male exJW ego is a funny thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit