Hero and Role Model

by Kismet 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Kismet
    Kismet

The recent thread about the NYC Firefighters got me thinking about role models.

Who are your role models now or your hero? How does that compare to when you were an active JW?

Thinking back my role models while in the Org, were a couple of older brothers and sisters who had served Jehovah faithfully for decades, suffered in varoius ways but never lost their faith. I still hold a couple of the older brothers and sisters in high regard. Not so much for thei faith but for the other qualities that they demonstrated such as kindness loyality generosity etc.

But today these folks are no longer hero material to me.

I have come to learn of the true inner strength of people. Ones who suffer from illness but yet keep on fighting with a smile on their face. Ones who have been abused yet struggle daily for peace but yet have time and space in their hearts for others. These people I respect and admire and hold out as a hero.

The raw courage of those in EMS professions such as demonstrated in NYC. These people are also what I consider hero material.

How about you? How have your role models changed since leaving the Borg?

Kismet

• RubyTuesday
    RubyTuesday

My Mother is my Hero.

• Kismet
    Kismet

I was negligent in not mentioning my father, but again he was one of the role models that switched. He was disfellowshipped when I was quite young and for years I look upon him with distain for turning his back on God (as I then thought).

As I was deciding to leave the Borg I got to know him, and I really came to appreciate what an amazing man he is and how much I aspired to be like him.

My Dad is definitely one of my best role models!

Kismet

• Scully
    Scully

Great topic, Kismet!

While I was growing up in the Borg, and through my whole JW experience, there were two people who stood out as role models and examples of the kind of Witness I wanted to be.

First was one of the elders in my home congregation. When I was little, he was pretty scary, but I always respected his knowledge of the Organization, and how he could always explain what the interpretation of ALL the Bible's prophecies were. I remember wishing and praying to be as knowledgeable as he was. To me, he was the epitome of "theocratic wisdom".

The other person was well known among the JWs in Quebec, Ontario and the Maritimes. Her name was Grace Lonsbury, and she was always interviewed at every assembly and convention I ever attended. She pioneered from young adulthood, and remained single and childless "for the sake of the Kingdom". She was "used" by the WTS (and I now say that with the contempt it deserves) to make people feel that full time service was something anybody could do if they really wanted to, and that if a person wasn't selfishly pursuing the things of the world, they could serve Jehovah completely like she did.

Now that I know the whole Org is complete bunk and rubbish, I feel sorry for them for wasting the best years of their lives on an investment that's never going to pay out for them.

Just before our exit from the Org began, during my last pregnancy and afterward while I was going through postpartum depression, the people who inspired me were the ones who cared about my family and me without concern for who we were or what they were able to get from us in return. Some of them were neighbours, some of them were strangers at first, but not a single one of them were JWs. I couldn't believe that these "good" people - by virtue of their not being JWs - would have their whole lives and the good things they did discounted just because they weren't Witnesses and end up destroyed.

One woman in particular, was the Public Health Nurse who came to see me twice a week for two months and provided the emotional and moral support that I needed while I was ill. She never judged me for not "doing enough". She always focused on positive things and reminded me that I was doing the best that I could. She was the person who didn't laugh at me when I started talking about going to Nursing School (unlike the JWs), and she was the one who encouraged me to go for it. If it wasn't for her and and the positive experience I had with her, I would not be a nurse today. Becoming a nurse has been the one of the best highlights of my life and most difficult thing I've ever done. Thank you, Elaine, from the bottom of my heart.

I'm still drawn to knowledgeable, experienced, compassionate, non-judgemental people. What really surprises me now, though, is when someone tells me that they think of me as their mentor or as an inspiration. Every single time, I'm surprised!

Love, Scully

Edited by - Scully on 5 August 2002 10:49:49

• Prisca
    Prisca

My role model is my mother. I only knew her for 11 years, and most of that time she wass very ill with cancer, but what I do remember of her is her warmth and kindness to people, JWs and non JWs alike.

Those who knew her remember her with fondness, and they speak of the respect and care that she showed. She had incredible courage in the face of adversity - a Catholic father violently opposed to her faith, remaining a JW during the ban (in WW2), learning to walk again after a car accident at the age of 15, and being a supportive wife of her Elder husband, and raising two very strong-willed daughters.

When I think of the type of person I want to be like, I want to be just like my Mum.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Role models - Hmm I would have to say all the Silent lambs and Bill Bowen right now along with Barb, the Pandelos, Erica and all others who have spoken out publically and suffered the consequences of telling the truth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit