Absolute moral standards and fiction.

by The Rebel 22 Replies latest jw friends

• doublespeak
    doublespeak

Hi Rebel, thank you for the post. Being a recent fader, I am now confronted with all these questions and I am grateful to read of the questions and thoughts of others

Morality, can it be time & circumstance dependent? (questioning absolutes) The good old ends justify the means
    Does this call on holistic and reductionist philosophies?

In a holistic view of morality, is bombing location X, killing n innocent people but apparently saving n people at location Y proves to be moral?
    Does a reductionist view make bombing location X and killing n people immoral, period?

Numerous posts on the forum call up God's morality in biblical times but exclude the ends justify the means indoctrination I now have in question.
    If I acknowledge the existence of a grand creator but said grand creator acts unjustly for a greater cause, I don't know how to square it all up. I think I need a cup of tea and a lie-down.

PS If morality serves as the basis for law, it's interesting to note that common law rests heavily upon intersubjective validity. (an approach towards absolute?)

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Morality does not reduce to arithmetic. Cofty

So if the Spockian “the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few” does not apply, how does the "objective moralist" justify the wasting of innocents in Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

• cofty
    cofty

I don't know Vander. Perhaps you should ask somebody who wishes to justify the use of the Atomic bombs of WWII. I don't.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit