Absolute moral standards and fiction.

by The Rebel 22 Replies latest jw friends

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Not all beliefs are worthy of respect, but when we read a book of fiction in my mind it's easier to travel outside ourselves and our absolute moral standards. Fiction allows our imagination to be free. I haven't read " fifty shades of grey" but I read " Romeo and Juliet" at school,and Juliet was 13, Romeo I believe was supposedly around 18 or 19.( This moral standard I was taught at school)

I think the moral compass we allow to exist in fiction is often different than what we would allow exist in our reality. When I read a story of fiction my moral compass does not see the same ethical responsibility I attach to my non-fiction moral standard. Is this because:-

A) of the art of language?

B) Can a good writer give us a different moral compass in fiction?

C) Does fiction have a different moral compass than our reality?

Story telling is in my opinion telling the stories of people's life's. This to me is the fundamental point of why I read fiction, yet the depiction of a character in the book of fiction,and the moral compass will I rarely judge. But with many books of non-fiction I read, if the "hero "of the story was a real person I wouldn't waste my time reading the book.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

Good point. If there's no absolute moral standards our standards are just random mental constructs and we could be able to create any standard.

This is not the case even in fiction.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

The only way absolute moral standards could exist is if there exists an absolute moral standard creator.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Vanderhoven7 " The only way absolute moral standards could exist is if there exists an absolute standard creator"

Good point, let's put our moral standards in the boxing ring, if I were Mahammed Ali i would knock the opponent out, without any mercy. ( And the public would and did love it)

I was always amazed growing up in England, that the generation that survived WW2 thought Punk music was evil and could bring down the establishment. I never got that.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    The Rebel - "I was always amazed growing up in England, that the generation that survived WW2 thought Punk music was evil and could bring down the establishment."

For me, it was my parents' generation and hair metal, LOL!

Personally, I could see through the ridiculousness of it even then.

It's funny, since most of those vocal critics actually had no particular love for said "establishment".

• btlc
    btlc

My father destroyed a collection of "The Beatles" albums back in '70ies (among the other things) when he become JW, because they were "satanic". Now he listen the same music as "evergreens" and "classics" and "beautiful old melodies"...

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Interesting thoughts.

...yet the depiction of a character in the book of fiction,and the moral compass will I rarely judge...

I think that's part of the effect that fiction is supposed to create, that is, allow your mind to drift away from what is considered a norm. It's not supposed to be real, so the morality attached to it isn't supposed to be real either.

• cofty
    cofty
    The only way absolute moral standards could exist is if there exists an absolute moral standard creator - Vander

Absolute moral standards do not exist..

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Absolute moral standards do not exist.. Cofty

Objective moral standards do not exist.

http://crossexamined.org/do-objective-moral-truths-exist-in-reality/

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

According to objective morality, was it moral to bomb Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit