We pray for the governing body

by StephaneLaliberte 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• Giordano
    Giordano

From what I understand the 'Friends' was the term used back in Russell's era to distinguish the many people who supported his ideas as presented through the WTBTS publications.

Russell was often asked to meet with and present his beliefs to these early followers (who eventually formed the International Bible Students Association). Since transportation and housing was necessary as well as a warm and enthusiastic welcome he began to refer to those supporters as The Friends.

The tern stuck here in the USA and is still recognized and in use in an informal way.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

It's becoming trendy here in the UK for them to use the American versions now. I've head my mother use the term "the friends" and "service". Here in Liverpool at least, we always called it "the work". As in "I'm going on the work on Saturday".

But yh, the American versions are slowly seeping into the British.

• blondie
    blondie

Quakers in the US refer to themselves as Friends. I found it confusing when older jws (and their imitators) used that word in regard to jws.

Quaker” emerged as a derisive nickname for Fox and others who shared his beliefs. The group eventually embraced the term, although their official name became Religious Society of Friends. Members are referred to as Friends or Quakers.

• newsheep
    newsheep

I am so glad to hear I wasn't the only one. I wasn't even awake yet and we had an elder, Dion who was really really long winded with his prayers. Even his father would echo these very same words. The one night he had actually prayed through Jesus and the governing body at the end of his prayer. My eyes opened wide I looked around and not one person thought it was odd. After that his prayers would be like that and I just couldn't accept going along with that so every time he gave a prayer I would go to the bathroom. I would go to the bathroom as well every time a resolution was passed. Wanted no part of the money begging rituals. So glad we're out!

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

To say that the GB needs others to pray for them is to say that Jehovah doesn't already have a handle on the organization.

• sparky1
    sparky1

"We pray for the Governing Body." - StephaneLaliberte

Well the Bible does say at Matthew 5:44 to...'pray for those persecuting you.'

• blondie
    blondie

jws tend to copy what they see or hear being done at the assemblies/conventions. Almost always the prayers have something regarding their god blessing the GB. jws want to be seem as holy as the GB and their representatives so ape what they do. I remember when the CO used to put a table off to the side of the stage at the circuit assembly facing the ministry school students, so he could give counsel face to face rather than from the row in the front.

Then ministry school overseers starting aping/copying that by putting a table off the the side of the stage in the KH, giving counsel from there (no direction from the GB to do that, just started doing it on their own). Finally, the GB had the COs tell each congregation not to do that any more.

Monkey see, monkey do.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

When they announced that they were the FSDL a few years years ago.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

It is perfectly reasonable to pray for the individual members of the GB. If you do talks, why not include this encouraging point in your material. You may get a surprising reaction.

(Matthew 5:44-45) However, I say to YOU: Continue to love YOUR enemies and to pray for those persecuting YOU; that YOU may prove yourselves sons of YOUR Father who is in the heavens, since he makes his sun rise upon wicked people and good and makes it rain upon righteous people and unrighteous

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Maybe it was when the GB , realised their were so many Court cases coming up that exposed the JW/WT religion as having a very serious problem with child sexual Abuse Cases arising from many different parts of the world.

And that in the end the members of the Governing Body may be held accountable for the policies they have in place ..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit