Holiday field service

by All or nothing 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sir82
    sir82

For a couple of years, many years ago, I served as service overseer.

I felt an obligation to "set a good example" so I "led the group" for field service on Thanksgiving day (US holiday).

Even as a full-on believer at that point, I cringed as we rang the doorbell on house after house where people were celebrating & relaxing with family. The last thing they wanted on that day was some misguided maroon selling magazines at their front door.

I never went out on a holiday thereafter.

• blondie
    blondie

I was thinking the last time I went out on New Year's Day. We thought we were being considerate by not knocking on doors until noon. After the third person groggily came to the door and chewed me out, I went home and never went out again on that day. Finally, I realized we were like a pesky fly that kept coming around without any real consideration for that person; after all, we were trying to save their life, right?

Never on a holiday after that.

• sparky1
    sparky1

Back in the '60's and '70's I remember consistently going in 'field service' on the 4th of July, Thanksgiving day , Christmas day and New Years day. And Tuesday night before the Book Study during peoples supper time. One guy on Thanksgiving told me to 'leave his family the hell alone...don't you realize that today is a holiday?!'

• blondie
    blondie

sparky1, you are old man, me too, old woman. I can remember that, I was about 5 at the time.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

In my youth we "religiously " went out on Christmas morning. Interest from the 'bro's' was tailing off in the '90's though. Last time I turned up to lead the group....nobody else came out......so I went back home...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit