Holiday field service

by All or nothing 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• All or nothing
    All or nothing

Today is 4th of July in my part of the world- the US- and I was reflecting how we were strongly encouraged when we were still in to go out in the ministry on holidays. I just mentioned this memory to my husband and we reflected on how cult like this was. Anyone else have thoughts on this? Don't get me wrong- so much looking back now is cult like but why in the world go bother worldly people on their holidays??

• blondie
    blondie

My hubbie and I were talking about this. I never went out on the 4th, I was at the fireworks. I found nothing gets a person at the door worked up, than a jw at the door, who don't vote, etc.

Same on Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

My Elder father NEVER went out in serve us on holidays. He always thought it was disrespectful. If he was assigned to lead the group, he would do so and then go home. He was very vocal to the ones who met in the group that he did not go out on holidays. He was one of the last decent Elders.

• blondie
    blondie

ToesUp, I was a regular pioneer at the time too. Even if I was behind on my time, I would not go out. It right up there with going to the cemetery to "witness" to grieving friends and family.

How arrogant!

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

I think the last time I went out in field service on a holiday was Thanksgiving day 1973. It was the day I told my future wife I was in love with her and I was wanting to married her. A week later I proposed and she said yes. The hell with field service love is more important. Still Totally ADD

• Sigfrid Mallozzi
    Sigfrid Mallozzi

For the few years that I was a service overseer, I had the field service group meeting at 11:30 on any of the holidays.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

If my memory serves me right, the only holidays we respected were Christmas and new years eve/day. These were the only time we would not go door to door. Otherwise, if you were spiritual, you were expected to be out there. And Yong teenagers were expected to sign up for pioneering for the month of July.

Come to think of it... it really sucked.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW
    If my memory serves me right, the only holidays we respected were Christmas and new years eve/day

What congregation did you go to? Are you in U.S., because I remember going out on those days many times with my mother

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

I looked out the window today and instantly had the thought of those poor JW souls who would be guilt tripped to go out in field service.

I was always hesitant to go out on holidays even when I had to take the group out. I knew how people responded on holidays and just didn't want to ruffle any feathers. Even then I still held on to some common sense instead of listening fully to those maggots in NY.

I despised their stupid announcements a few weeks ahead of a holiday how it would be nice to go out and reach people.

My goodness, when we were programmed we did a LOT of stupidities. Wow!

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte
    What congregation did you go to?

Canada: Ontario and Quebec. While these holidays were respected by the majority, some fanatics ignored them and most people in the congregations felt it was disrespectful to the people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit