The Scriptures

by KGB 39 Replies latest jw friends

• KGB
    KGB

The scriptures are some of the oldest books in the world known to man with dates included now how do you suppose that can be, that these books have survived this long, many thousands of years ? Hmmmmmm I don't see any other book on the shelf as long as this book not even any other history book as far as that goes, Now I wonder why a book that supposedly is nothing more than a lie or uninspired as some of you put it would survive that long. I wonder how Christianity has lasted as long as it has if it is all just a lie. There are more believers today than ever before and the unbelievers you can fit them in a skillet..............

• Red Witch
    Red Witch

everyone wants to belong, it is human nature. the easiest way to belong is blind, mindless acceptance. in short, to be a follower. you are a follower, kgb. do a little ancient history research. there are many writtings which are pre-'christian', albeit, not in books, but on stone. take the time to check it out.

• micheal
    micheal

No other history books claimed to be inspired by god, this one does. So as long as this label is attached to this book people will look at it with reverence even if it is nothing more than a glorified history book.

• KGB
    KGB

micheal,

You got that very right NO OTHER BOOK makes a claim to be inspired !!!!!!HMMMMMMMMM

I wonder why ??????????????

• talesin
    talesin
    the unbelievers you can fit them in a skillet

I think the billions of people who are muslim, hindu, jewish, shinto, aboriginal, pagan (did I leave anyone out?) might disagree with you.

Here in North America it's easy to think that most people in the world are Christian, since in our culture, Christianity predominates. In fact, Christians are a minority religion in world terms (IMHO).

Just a thought, KGB, not an attack. Wanted to getcha thinking. If I'm gonna introduce you to any of my hot, single friends (and I have one in particular in mind), you'll need to expand your horizons a bit.

tal

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

there are plenty of other books as old and claiming to be god-inspired! and I have them on my bookshelf. check out this link:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/time/timeline.htm

and also:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/time/origtime.htm

The Vedas were written 300 years before the Torah and the IChing was written 2800 years before the Torah! I have both a copy of the Bhagavad Gita and the IChing on my bookshelf right next to a Bible.

This does not diminish the Bible, but it does present Christians as being intellectually dishonest that they cannot even acknowledge when their book was written as compared to other sacred texts. Really the biggest blemish to the Bible are the ones who claim it is something it is not and lose what it is.

Ravyn

• micheal
    micheal

well acually the koran does and a few other books that various eastern religions follow.

• Red Witch
    Red Witch

and exactly WHO inserted that claim? Again, I beseech you to investigate deeper and further back in time. How many stories in the bible are transparent modifications from ancient (pre-jesus) Egypt and Assyro-Babylonian myths?

• little witch
    little witch

Good Question, KGB-

My guess would be, because the bible is is so diverse. It includes very old texts from many different peoples, and lands.

The Ten Commandments for instance, are said to be based on the Hammarabi Code, from Babylonia.

Then there are all the beautiful, and ancient poems of psalms, and Job.

Not to mention the sultry Solomon.

I would also say that the three ''great religions'', Jewish, Christian, and Muslim, base their religion on these texts. That is a big chunk of the worlds population, that fit in there, so I would imagine that keeps it on the shelf, as you say.

No doubt about it, the bible is the most important, and sacred book in the world.

• logansrun
    logansrun

KGB,

The scriptures are some of the oldest books in the world known to man with dates included now how do you suppose that can be, that these books have survived this long, many thousands of years ?

What dates? Where? There is not so much as one book in the Bible that has a date stating when it was written. I challenge you to show me one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit