Carts in Florence/pisa

by Phoebe 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Phoebe
    Phoebe

I have just had a holiday. I don't get many so this was special. I went to Italy. I saw carts in all the touristy places in Florence and also in Pisa. I also saw brothers standing holding up magazines and as we walked by they said ' free magazine.'

I felt sorry for them, I really did. I almost took a magazine off one brother because he looked like he really didn't want to be there all by himself, holding up magazines.

It was also the first holiday for me since I left the JWs. I went in all the churches, they were beautiful. I also didn't spend the entire flight in fervent prayer as I used to do, because I'm a nervous flyer. I just embraced everything with a what will be, will be attitude. For the first time I really enjoyed the flight. In fact, I had the best time, I really did.

It made me realised what a nervous wreck the Watchtower had made me. I was always so, so worried about everything. It made life the opposite of enjoyable.

One morning, I watched a little girl chasing a bird. She was a sweet little thing and I thought to myself, according to witnesses if that little girl doesn't have JW parents she's going to be slaughtered very soon. How utterly cruel to even think that?

• steve2
    steve2

JWs are everywhere in tourist spots but actually going no where. Treadmill lifestyle. Round and round and round and round, hanging out for the end that never comes.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

PHOEBE:

Italy is wonderful and I made sure I went in all the churches too. They are magnificent and the history is amazing. They have human relics of saints on display too. Very interesting.

I was an active JW when I did this. I wish all the judgmental JWs could have seen me!

Meanwhile I'm glad you got to travel.

• Vetiver
    Vetiver

I still have my favorite experiences after leaving the organization.

Going to Catalina Island with a friend I met in college and spending the night when I was 21 years old. Spent all my money, but it was a blast.

Driving to Las Vegas with another ex Jehovah Witness and winning 80 bucks on the slots. Instead of getting smashed drunk, like most people thought you would do, we attacked two buffets and hit up Alien Jerky before getting back to Los Angeles. I also drank as much O.J. I could from the all you can drink juice bar. Who does that?

Seeing Roger Waters in concert with a bunch of stoner class mates in the nose bleed sections. I was still tucking in my shirt in to my pants and had the Leave it to Beaver haircut to. I think it was 1999.

Going on a date with a girl and ending up under at the Santa Monica pier. It started to rain and we ended up under a closed lifeguard stand freezing. The kiss was the thing I remembered the most from that day.

I don't have any good memories from the hall aside from the relief of getting off the podium after a talk and glad my zipper wasn't down.

• alanv
    alanv

I have also seen them in many countries by their carts. Everyone simply walks by, showing no interest at all. Some of them will know a bit about the witnesses with all the media coverage and youtube videos available. Others just have better things to do than read their trash.

• Done
    Done

They sit outside by the post office here. I work long hours M-F and usually can't get my mail on weekdays. Now, all summer long, it's like they're stalking the PO entrance on Saturdays. Oh well, on line bill pay is my friend, and soon it will be too cold to sit outside all day. Fwiw, I've never seen anyone at the carts except the Bros

• pepperheart
    pepperheart

The carts are good for the watchtower the jws can ger their hours in and they dont give as many magazines out and so they stand there with magazines printed in 2012 2011 and 2010 APART that is when people like me walk ppast them and take magazines and so watchtower has to spend money replacing the books and magazines

• Done
    Done

After work dinner with a coworker. Her kid said at the county fair she had gotten 6 bibles from them, then staged a scene at their campsite with bodies and fake dead animals and all the grey bibles she scored

• Old Navy
    Old Navy

Now that is really good news Phoebe! Very positive and encouraging testimony. Congratulations, you are well on your way to freedom!

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

I was talking with my JW brother in law and he mentioned how successful the cart work is... according to the society... since it isn't the case locally. I resisted telling him that I have observed cart witnessing in many parts of the country and abroad and I have never seen witnesses engaged in conversation with passer by...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit