"Secret Sins"... a catalyst for change both negative and positive

by silentbuddha 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha

Old Navy, Buddhism is an intriguing faith... so much so that even in my distaste for religion have a profound respect for the belief system.

• Sail Away
    Sail Away
    Buddhism is an intriguing faith... so much so that even in my distaste for religion have a profound respect for the belief system. --silentbuddha

I do respect many of the teachings, but bottom line, it's still a patriarchal belief system.

My reasons for leaving were an unwillinglneed to shun my DF'd son and doctrinal issues that spanned decades.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I think this could be one of those Chicken or the Egg....which one came first, situations.

• Were the doctrines so flawed that you couldn't build your faith in them and therefore gave in to sin?
    • Were the expectations so strict, imbalanced and officious that no normal person with a personality of their own, could possibly live up to them without becoming a mindless drone? People cannot be their authentic selves in an officious environment.
    • Because of the teachings and the requirement to confess your most intimate circumstances to unlettered and ordinary men (the elders) when ordinary sinfulness occurred, were you so ashamed or fearful or the consequences that you figured your were a goner and gave up on yourself ?
    • Did the teachings about sin and those who commit sin and what it takes to be forgiven, lead you to draw the wrong conclusions about yourself and your relationship with God and created a self fulfilling prophesy?
    • Are the majority of people just as sinful but less concerned than you, about covering it up?

This is often what happens to people when other individuals intervene in their personal relationship with God. The same thing happens when a parent intervenes in the relationships of their married children. They may be well intentioned, but more often than not, they cause irreparable damage.

• Old Navy
    Old Navy

Quote from Silent Buddha:

Buddhism is an intriguing faith... so much so that even in my distaste for religion have a profound respect for the belief system.

I agree. SGI Buddhism doesn't consider itself to be a religion but rather a philosophy of life. I see much there that makes sense. They do strive to be good people with considerably more flexibility than Christendom would be comfortable with. I support my wife in her activities since she has devoted nearly her entire life to the group, but I could never join them. The chanting to their "object of worship" doesn't appeal to me. Quite a few military have joined the group both enlisted and commissioned. Some are my good friends.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit