How about a CAPCHA test for ANY new post?

by Nathan Natas 11 Replies latest forum suggestions

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Maybe it would be possible to turn the CAPCHA test off for a user after they have "survived" ten posts without being thrown into Gehenna?

Thanks for all you do for us! There must be some days it seems like a thankless pain-in-the-ass, but you ARE rendering a truly life-saving service.

Love ya, Dude, (and Dude-harad and all the little Dudettes) in an appropriate and totally manly way!

- Your idiot fellow traveller.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Perhaps like ... can you spell 'Shibboleth' kinda test? (Judges 12:6)

Eden

• tornapart
    tornapart
    What's happened with only being able to post a certain number of posts as a new member? Has this Nora Batty somehow got past that?
  • Simon
    Simon

Thank you to every for the alerts about the spammer. They have been removed and their drivel with them.

Spam is a PITA but it doesn't happen that often and is easy to clean up. I have a few things I'm going to build in though to keep things under control and prevent the disruption they do cause:

Spam checks on email addresses during registration and reporting to the spammer database on removal. Most spammers are already known so that will pick up a lot of them.

Linking the "flag" tool to a reputation system so that if enough respected members votes report someone as a spammer then the system can take care of things on their own (this can work for lots of things - the community become the moderators).

More gradual ramping up of posting limits and checks for repeated posts with the same content. A lot of the limits are intentionally "flexible" to allow people to have occasional bursts of chattiness while preventing someone taking over completely. Just reducing some of that elasticity will help but I think the other measures are better because they won't impact regular users.

• Petraglyph
    Petraglyph

Simon, would not "occasional bursts of chattiness" be on the same thread? As opposed to starting multiple threads?

I don't know if the system can distinguish between these types of posts, but it's a thought I've had, so I'll chip it into the mix. :)

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Nathan nut-assss
  • Simon
    Simon
    would not "occasional bursts of chattiness" be on the same thread? As opposed to starting multiple threads?

Yes, that is correct.

I think we could just block anything in Chinese or Korean

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I think we could just block anything in Chinese or Korean

..........Image result for Plate of Chinese food....Image result for Confused chinese man

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Linking the "flag" tool to a reputation system so that if enough respected members votes report someone as a spammer then the system can take care of things on their own (this can work for lots of things - the community become the moderators).

That might be abused by certain posters who simply don't like the comment. Keeping a person in the loop might be best.

• Simon
    Simon
    That might be abused by certain posters who simply don't like the comment. Keeping a person in the loop might be best.

That's why reputation is important - through feedback mechanisms the system learns to listen to some people more than others and ignore some completely.

I have a great book about this and the way it works with spam and it's brilliantly elegant. If something is removed then you can email the author as a final check and most often that can determine if it's legit or not (spammers don't check and answer their email)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit