A Chance To Plant A Seed That We All Have

by dubstepped 13 Replies latest jw friends

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

I'd like to brainstorm something with the rest of you. This summer at the regional conventions we all know by now that a talk on shunning is going to be given. We all know what that talk will likely point to. Shunning is healthy because it keeps the congregation clean, it is reflective of loyal love shown to Jehovah, and that it is actually loving to us as "unrepentant wrongdoers". You and I know that is garbage.

I believe that most JW's still have their authentic person inside. I did, it was just covered by JW-speak. It hurts to shun other people just as it hurts to be shunned. I did it for years and it always hurt, though out of sight was out of mind until something caught my eye and pricked my authentic self. I knew that shunning wasn't loving.

So, the way I see it, you and I have an opportunity to plant a seed of love to the authentic selves that lie beneath our JW relatives exteriors. There's a soft chocolate center under that toxic candy shell. The GB is about to put another layer of toxic candy shell on top. We have a moment here to reach the center and make it so that when they hear the toxic words from the stage it just might cause them some dissonance.

My challenge is to develop something that I/we can send to our former loved ones prior to that talk that reaches their humanity within so that when the toxic message is presented, maybe, just maybe, it pricks the nerves on that authentic self underneath.

I'm picturing a letter, a VERY short letter, that shows our relatives what love really is. It can't be long because for most of us our relatives may not read anything if they know it is from us, so it has to pack a lot of punch in a few short words. I have even pictured a postcard, almost like and advertisement, something so short and with some key graphics and words that it tugs at the heart underneath the indoctrination.

Maybe a picture of a loving family enjoying a meal together, or embracing, with a message about how "noone has love greater than this, that they would die in behalf of their friends" or how their "exists a friend sticking closer than a brother" or how "love hopes all things, endures all things, never fails", etc. Something as a slogan for the campaign, something quick hitting and scriptural, with a personal message underneath that grabs them really fast and shows them the contrast between love and shunning. This is a chance to plant a seed that might just grow when the shun gun is brought out at the convention.

I'm interested in hearing your feedback. I know that it was the lack of genuine love shown that finally got me to wake up. It was healing emotionally that started my entire process. Then I allowed myself to dive into the deeper doctrinal issues, but to start it was basic humanity that woke me up. I want to take a shot at waking up others by appealing to their basic humanity. Shunning causes cognitive dissonance and if there is an opening in the toxic armor I believe that is where it lies.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

My wife's suggestion was a musical card that plays "What is love? Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more", lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5G1FmU-ldg

I'm thinking more along the lines of something that says "God is Love" "Love Never Fails" and other short attention grabbers at the top with a personalized message underneath contrasting the love that we have for them with the toxic love they're showing by shunning.

I have a friend that is a graphic designer and will really have postcards produced if needed. I think I like the idea of a postcard over a letter because it grabs your attention and can't be unseen.

• TJ Brother
    TJ Brother

And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?

Matthew 5:47

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Good one ^^^^^^^

Keep 'em coming. I love that one.

• rebelfighter
    rebelfighter

Find out where the conversations are being held. Check the local ordinance and stand a distance from the entrance in a very peaceful manner with a banner that reads:

IS SHUNNING RIGHT?

Matthew 5: 43-48

• Jerryh
    Jerryh

Dubstepped, I am pretty new to this forum and was never a JW. I lurk here in the hope of gaining some insight that may be useful to me in relating to some family converts. I was never inside a kingdom hall but one time. I attended my grandson's wedding. I love 2 converts, daughter / son-in-law and (2 born ins?) granddaughter / grandson and the key word there is love.

Often when someone posts any thoughts that grab me I go and review their other posts to get a feel for their approach to things generally. In the last few minutes I read your story. Among other things I know your name is Mike, so hello Mike. One thing that comes through is that you are a man of love and still quoting scripture.

You are good with words also. Case in point "authentic person inside" "soft chocolate center"

"basic humanity" I encourage you to go forward with this project, it sounds good.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Simply be a genuine and loving person to them!

Do something sincere for them, so that their mind can't reconcile the "evil" person you are portrayed as compared to the genuinely loving person they have experienced!

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Hey Jerryh, thanks so much for the kind words. I hope that you learn some things here that help you to understand your JW relatives. It is definitely not easy to understand from the outside. It is terribly difficult to wake people up, or as someone that is in the organization to give credence to your doubts and wake yourself up. I had doubts since I was a kid, but I always pushed them down because I had so much to lose and because I believed they had the truth. Over the years the true lack of love and the loneliness contrasted with the love that I received outside of the organization started me down a path to emotional healing It was there that I found courage to start leaving.

If I get something put together I'll definitely post it up. I hope that it will inspire others to do the same or similar. This talk that is going to be given over the summer, in all areas, is going to hammer home the shunning practice. I want to take this chance and hopefully magnify the cognitive dissonance that will be caused when that talk is heard.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    I love your idea.
  • Miss Worldly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit