Another Unnecessary Early Death

by Slidin Fast 12 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

A young man in Somerset in England, under massive pressure from financial and relationship issues lapsed into mental illness. He was unlucky enough to have as his support system the local congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses. One of the symptoms of his illness was the use of tobacco. So in the rigid unloving way of the organisation he was offered tough love, he was disfellowshipped.

The result? He was found hanging from a tree a park in Bristol, there to attend a JW assembly.

Is this news? Hardly, to us. Can we be sure he wouldn't have done it anyway? Of course not. But for me, this is another stitch in the blanket, evidence that WT is an unloving, uncaring organisation lacking anything approaching real love.

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/jehovahs-witnesses-disowned-27-year-4370866

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

A tragic end to a very sad story.

On the one hand I can see that the elders on the committee may have felt they had little choice, since they are merely rulebook followers and have little discretion.

I was at an elders school many years ago when the question was asked whether mental health should be considered in judicial cases. The answer was that if a person is cognizant enough to live and care for himself, mental health should not be considered.

Surely though, in this day and age, clear case like this shoul have prompted them to cut him a little slack.

I can see that attending an assembly as D/f could be the last straw.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

I don't blame the elders, as you say they have very little wriggle room. It's the unloving framework of pharisaic rules they work under that is reprehensible.

However, as well as being elders each of those men are human with their own consciences. We do have agency however much the ORG tries to take that away from us.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

I am now 79 and still remember the struggles I had to quit smoking. I was just a kid at 21 and during a long Thanksgiving weekend, away from the influence of my work buddies, and quit the habit -- and don't regret it now. But I truly loved it then.

It would be another 10 years or so when it became a DF offense and I totally empathized with the then elderly who were struggling with their addiction.

What haunted my thinking then was Jesus words, Matthew 15:11 11What goes into someone's mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them."

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

it is very difficult--long winded and expensive to " import" a "foreign" spouse into the UK.

i'm in the process--and we are now 4 years in to the 5 years settlement route, which will have cost me about 10,000 pounds overall. there are conditions to meet--including a minimum income or other financial means. like many other Brits--i knew nothing of all this when we first met and started a relationship.

• Giordano
    Giordano

The WTBTS is totally ignorant about mental stability and/or mental health. They run away from it. It's all about praying and attending meetings.

How can religious beliefs make clear what mental health issues are dangerous when there is no ability to separate a sin from a crime?

Believe and have faith. Wrong every time!!!

They land on the side of sin........ not mental issues. A JW committee is as useful as the Catholic Church........or as useful as one different left or right shoe. Clump clump.

Stupid is the word for all religious issues regarding sexual practices or sexual crimes.

Sins are the same as Crimes......usually. The Elders don't seem to get that.

It's a sin/crime to sexually abuse children once ... or over and over again. That's pretty simple isn't it? We used to shoot people for that....... oh for the good old times.

But of course the abusers are also mentally deficient.

Because of the lack of higher education the Society, the Catholic Church..... and many others like the Boy Scout's.... were at a loss when it came to the mental health of their Priests, Elders, Coach's, older brothers............ official's of all sorts..... who engaged in child sexual abuse.

Pray....is the proper response for most religious people.

But guess what....it will not absolve anything.......nor make anything right. The children have grown up and are getting their revenge!

And that's the way it should be.

• tiki
    tiki

So very sad...he needed real help..not hateful ousting...

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

When I was chucked out the synagogue last year, the elders apparently discussed the possibility of me committing suicide. How heart warming eh? If you didn't feel hated beforehand, you certainly feel hated when you find that out.

But I keep remembering what happened to Joseph and how he forgave his brothers in the end.

I do understand how some fall short in their behaviour or just get in a bit of a mess and it leaves them vulnerable to a troubled conscience. This is one reason why I would encourage anyone who even slightly imagines that this is God's organisation to put that thought right out of their mind. It isn't. And they are not your judge and jury. Jesus Christ is and He loves you so much he died for you. Get out the Bible, read the things Jesus said and did, then ask yourself, what would his view be of you?

You are loved, you are cherished, you are precious, you are of immense value. Know it. And if you've mess up a bit, change your ways and move on.

Get some royal robes ready and a few fatted calves cause if the elders who were cruel to you ever come to their senses, you'll all have a nice party together one day.

• Mr.Finkelstein
    Mr.Finkelstein

This is sad story to be sure but its not unusual in the world of Jehovah's Witnesses.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

The poor bugger got kicked while he was down from all sides ,very sad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit