Can watchtower really continue with cart preaching?

by Hellothere 17 Replies latest social current

• Ding
    Ding
    It's all about counting hours...
  • Journeyman
    Journeyman
    I personally felt the cart was more effective than driving around knocking door where people were not interested or not at home. At lease at the cart, those interested will engage with you.
    Just as long as they ''legally can'', the carts will continue.

I agree. It keeps witnesses occupied, is an easy way to count time, and it's easy for the org since they make it clear that individual publishers do it at their own risk.

However, if that were ever successfully challenged in a court and a ruling made that the org were liable for what happens with the carts (trespass, nuisance, etc, for example) they would probably drop it - but possibly only in the jurisdiction where the judgement is made. That's the pattern they've shown in other cases, for example banning house-to-house records in the UK and EU due to GDPR, but not elsewhere.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I wonder what JW's feel about the cart work, yes the vast majority would rather do that than knock on doors, but I wonder if the genuine ones may deep down think that it is not real witnessing, and not very productive at all for making converts.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I also wonder how many of them feel as if it's not the same, perhaps too easy or makes it easy to count hours without really trying to talk to anyone. But in places where the territory gets frequent coverage, the door-to-door work must be very frustrating these days, since people are so used to JWs coming around and are quick to dismiss them. Sitting by a cart and trying to get people's attention probably is a lot less stressful.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

There was a joke on a one liner page on FB about JWs going to Heaven and St Peter not answering the pearly gates.

One comment was they didn't know if JWs were still a thing because they hadn't seen any about in a long time.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    punkofnice - “…One comment was they didn't know if JWs were still a thing because they hadn't seen any about in a long time.”

🤣

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    . Sitting by a cart and trying to get people's attention probably is a lot less stressful.

most cart staff ive seen are trying NOT to get peoples attention.

• Hellothere
    Hellothere

I remember when we went out door to door in groups years ago. No body was home. But saw how people kept passing the JWs on the Street. No JW stopped and gave this people a brochure or something. After one hour conductor said it was time to stop, cause noone was home. But I counted about 25 people hade passed by street we were working. I realised that most JWs out with us in service actually don't wanna meet anyone. It's like meeting attendance. You go so other members in congregation see your doing something. Effective Witnessing was out of question.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit