Could Joel Osteen Bring the JWs Out of Their Doldrums?

by TMS 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Wayward
    Wayward

The man has the gift of the gab. I'll give him that. And he also has a gift for conning people into giving him money. Osteen's lifestyle is proof of that. If nothing else, having Joel Osteen at the helm of WTBTS would solve any money woes.

• Magnum
    Magnum

Watching phony charlatans like Osteen is one of the main things that moved me to want to be a JW. He's definitely not a Bible scholar. He is, as mentioned above, just a motivational speaker. However, I say he's NOT even a good speaker. He's not natural; he's too rehearsed. His pace is too steady, too rhythmic. If you want to hear some good, natural speakers, listen to some TED talks.

• Late Bloomer
    Late Bloomer

Osteen's a con man? I've watched his sermons for years and I can't recall ever hearing him ask for money. He is more of a motivational speaker than a preacher which is probably why as an atheist, he's the only preacher I can tolerate. He still mentions God too much for my liking, lol. Fortunately I've developed an efficient God-filter over the years so all I hear is how I'm a masterpiece and destined for greatness.

I've often thought that if more of the brothers spoke like Osteen, I might've stayed a little longer (or paid more attention while I was in, lol). Talk about unnatural and rehearsed! The majority had such horrible grammar and poor enunciation--mumbling, stumbling, stuttering. Plus no sense of humor. At least Osteen knows how to tell a joke if nothing else. Maybe it sounds nit-picky, but the elders' poor speaking skills really lessened my respect for them.

Like someone upthread said, Osteen is too happy for this negative cult. His allows his kids to go to college, his family vacations in Disneyland. He believes in heaven but also that God wants you to be happy NOW and to never settle. Quite the opposite of JWs who want you to sacrifice all earthly pleasures for happiness in the future. Even if by some chance Osteen did become entangled with the JWs, they'd suck all the joy and happiness out of him because they are just that toxic. They're joy vampires. He wouldn't stand a chance.

• Steel
    Steel

We have a C.O who speaks at our assemblies. Young little prick, I forget his name and he actually tries to mimic Joel Osteen in his delivery style. I knew there is a whole team of people at Bethel just studying all the popular evangelical preachers, trying to see what works and what they can rip off.

I have always thought if Joel Osteen was a food, he would be cotton candy. I generally think his message is harmless provided you don’t take the idea of prosperity theology too serious. He is a good starting point to get involved in a good church. I know the majority here are atheist/agnostic but I do believe church has a role in at the very least protecting people against harmful cults like the Jehovah Witnesses.

If more people knew there bibles better , they would wake up to how ridiculous Jehovah Witnesses teachings are, being only though your works and obedience to seven men in Brooklynn yada yada yada.

The one I kind of enjoy is Joseph Prince. He has the charisma of Joel Osteen while actually teaching teaching the bible at a university level theology class.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

As far as the WTS is concerned, the doldrums are out there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit