Unbelievable experiences at assemblies or conventions

by Dimples 20 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover
    I knew he was a member of the Guess Who, but I didn't know he replaced Burton Cummings. The thing I find funny is that the Guess Who was NOTHING after Burton Cummings left.

Randy Bachman left and started Bachman-Turner Overdrive. So with both Cummings and Bachman gone the Guess Who was basically a cover band.

• Red Witch
    Red Witch

hmmmmm, what i remember best, is my 1st kiss!!!!

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

The one that keeps coming back is the lobster story -

Some brother has a study with someone who offers to pay (due to owning a crustacean emporium of some kind) for the study in lobsters.

This story, I've heard in various versions at least three times. The funny thing is, I know where it comes from. There was a book, No Man's Blood, about a doctor who was a leader in cooperating with the dubs on the blood thing - and this sick witness offers to pay for his cancer operation in lobsters.

Although the psychotropic effect of several dozen cases of live lobsters arriving via UPS would certainly make the experience an enjoyable one for me, I'm actually not a big fan of lobster and would have to decline shellfish oriented payment schemes.

Hundreds of feelers and eyestalks poking out between the splintered wooden slats, the earnest snapping of countless claws clicking in anticipation... shiver...

CZAR of the Creeped Out Klass...

• suzi_creamcheez
    suzi_creamcheez

Czar, you crack me up!

I heard one sob story about a JW woman whose son had gone to college, where he committed sexual acts and used drugs. He was disfellowshiped. The sister was so distraught she "literally died of a broken heart." Oh, boo hoo.

the bible study wunderkinds made me sick too. they were all so prepped and scripted. Its scary to see a 5 -year-old who's so smug and prissy, already turning into a self-righteous turd. Ugh.

• Swan
    Swan

Being counseled for watching the ducks during the lunch break.

Tammy

• Red Witch
    Red Witch

Its scary to see a 5 -year-old who's so smug and prissy, already turning into a self-righteous turd.

'Bible Toting Brat'

• jwbot
    jwbot

I just hated the dramas in general, only the ones that were the modern day settings-with the families.

I HATED THEIR PORTRAYAL OF FAMILIES! aargh! I mean, they made it out like every family acted like this Brady Bunch mutants and that was NORMAL???

oh jeeze.

"Oh brother shitfuck, is that movie rated pg-13?, better not watch that!"

• In_between_days
    In_between_days

I hated the experiences that were given from the platform. I took my non dub husband to an assembly once where this young girl about 14 or 15 was relating her experiences. She left school in year nine to become a regular pioneer with the encouragement of her parents. He couldnt believe that everyone was applauding. He was completely horrified.

I think all the young teenage dubs used to dread the "pop culture" talk. What latest TV series or band was banned for young dubs. We all used to cringe during that talk.

The dramas are so crap now its unbelievable. I remember when their used to be so much effort put into the things. Cool costumes, dramatic music, only semi - apalling acting. Now its always the same. That bloody paper mache rock they use year after year and that moth eaten wool rug on the ground reprezenting sheep. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

• willowstreet
    willowstreet

I remember at some conventions the sisters bathrooms had the mirrors covered with paper.

....they didn't want us primping, I guess....weird.

• berylblue
    berylblue
    I guess buying candy is a no-no as well. At assemblies I was at, we were not to patronize the street vendors. They told us the vendors had not had proper licensing from the city.....I wonder if that was a lie too.

I patronized them....and I asked. Now, of course a WORLDLY person is going to lie, mind you, but the vendors were genuinely perplexed at the accusation.

Didn't matter. I needed my soft pretzel and Diet Pepsi.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit