Beards

by pgjallan 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• pgjallan
    pgjallan

I left the Witnesses. Returned full bearded, which drew censure from a District Overseer: “Peter, you can’t witness door-to-door with a beard”. Bewildered, I asked for an explanation. None was given. Of course, beards resonate hippie, liberal counterculture, sex, drugs and music. Really.

I refused to shave the beard; they refused to accept me. I left.

I have met several since, 2015, but their talk of an imminent perusia, a second coming of Christ was slightly disturbing. More disturbing still is their often constant, cack-handed attempt to cover-up child sexual abuse in Australia, UK and USA. In Australia 1,000 members of the Jehovah's Witness Church have been accused of child sexual abuse; none were reported to the police.

Whenever I meet a Witness, I ask this question: Being a theocratic organization, ruled by Jehovah’s loving hand, which, you say, justly sympathizes with all who have suffered abuse of any sort, why allow innocent children to suffer silently. Victims are being ignored, not helped. Help comes from outside of the organization; ironically, from those whom you accuse of being in league with Satan.

• Je.suis.oisif
    Je.suis.oisif

Hi & welcome pjallan.

• juandefiero
    juandefiero
    Welcome!
  • Floodguy
    Floodguy
    I was born in. Kept growing a beard, acquiescing and shaving it off, growing it again, until I hit 40. Wouldn't shave. Elder told me I should rethink my position, as I was the congregations best reader, and if I didn't shave I'd lose that priveledge. I suggested that perhaps they should rethink their position, if that's the case. Ever the rebel. Finally realized the TTATT, and never went back. Thanks, beard.
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Welcome
  • sparky1
    sparky1

Of course, beards resonate hippie, liberal counterculture, sex, drugs and music.

Isn't it strange how the average Jehovah's Witness thinks?

• Watchtower-Free
  • Giordano
    Giordano

Welcome pjallan.

Well here's a bit of inconvenient truth....... Russell was the guy that started the entire JW world........ and his followers often grew beards in support and respect.

When Rutherford became president of the WTBTS beards were frowned on because he was changing stuff around and beards were a reminder of Russell.

Then a general cultural change came along and men started to present themselves as clean shaven. The WT even showed Jesus as clean shaven.

Of course, beards resonate hippie, liberal counterculture, sex, drugs and music. Really.

One of the big problems with the Society and JW's is that they have conflated grooming and dress into their Dogma.

Charles Taze Russell sharp.jpg Russell in 1911.
  • Heaven
    Heaven

"Imitate Jesus" ... yeah, grow a beard and put on a dress.

• crazy_flickering_light
    crazy_flickering_light
    Full bearded MS in my cong. He got MS and grow the beard some time later.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit